Amy, I found it very interesting that the children, when asked what they wanted to be when they grow up were not sure. As you remember, most said a teacher and others said "I don't know." Do you know how many kids end up going on to college, a trade school, or even finding a job?
Thanks, Mom! I'm not ignoring you, see! I can only speak to the kids in the cuenca and unfortunately, only a handful go to University. For example, I personally know 5 students (all ex-Guarumas) who have continued on to University. There are a handful of kids who, after their 6th grade year will continue on to a trade school and who, after their 9th grade year will go to specialized high schools that train teachers, secretaries, etc.And, in light of the very special event happening this coming Saturday, Aunt Maxine asked:
Amy, are there special birthday customs in Honduras that we don't know about? Aside from the alcohol, how will you spend your birthday celebration in Honduras?
You remembered my Birthday, Aunt Maxine! First, there are no special-to-Honduras birthday customs here. In fact, birthdays are much less celebrated... there are often no gifts given, cakes baked, or parties thrown.
The second part of your questions leads really well into what I wanted to talk about anyway! Tonight, Guaruma is having a dinner for me. I have requested home-made nachos. We're doing it tonight because on the actual day, I am going to Guatemala and Belize! My last Visa renewal needs to happen within the next 10 days and this time, I'm going to explore Central America a little more. I leave Thursday for the trip and will be back in 10 days. I can't wait to share stories and picture of the adventure! Just hold tight, because there will be very minimal posting over the next week and a half.Thanks for the questions Mom and A.M. Points for you!
This morning, I did Yoga at Wendy's with an actress who had a role in American Pie (as Jessica), Kate & Leopold, and a few other films. I recognized her and had to Google! Anyway, yoga is still amazing and I can't wait to find studios in Boston. I'm doing the entire Ashtanga First Series and continuing to work up quite a sweat! +1 for me!
The cuenca is so dry! Perhaps that's why they call it the dry season. There hasn't been rain in weeks and the roads are dusty, trees are dusty, and people are dusty. I miss the lush jungle! Bad, Honduras. Bad! -1 for Honduras.
Yesterday in El Pital, I had an excellent class with the Iguanas. The previous class, I taught them three English songs: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat, and The Itsy Bitsy Spider (with hand motions). They LOVED them and promised that they'd practice all week so they could give me a concert. And they did! They sang the songs so well! I have to bring my Flip Video to class next week so I can record them singing. It was fantastic!
After the concert, they sang a song in Spanish for me and promised a return on the favor and teach me next week. I can't wait!
And I can't wait for my vacation! Bring it on! I'll check back in before I leave and then hopefully here and there throughout the next week.
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras - 1, Mom 1, Aunt Maxine 1
kudos for a great class. And thanks for answering my question. have a very very happy birthday sweet 26th. Oh how I remember the morning you were born. You were the loudest baby in the nursery
ReplyDeletehappy birthday!!!!!!! weeee
ReplyDeleteoops that was from scully--on friend miriam's computer in vegas haha.
ReplyDelete