Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sunshine Makes Me High

I have been very productive the last two days, mainly because the sun has been shining. As most of you know, sun for me is like heroin. I literally get high off of it and cannot deny rumors that I prance around in slutty clothes in order to soak up the rays. Without it, I am a grumpy, miserable mess. Why am I moving to Boston again?

If there is sun, I have to take advantage of it. I did my laundry and it actually dried! I also heard it is good to sun my mattress and pillows. I plan on Googling exactly why -- obviously to dry them out, but does it kill bacteria? Mold? Bugs? (Ew.)



I also competitively tanned... with myself. And I won. Amy 1, Honduras 0. It's a good thing Kelly wasn't here to give me some serious competition.

It is great to be back to my students! I am really excited for two students in particular, David and Adolfo, who just returned from a trip to the United States. They are the first two people in their community to travel to the US and I am so happy that Guaruma could help to coordinate this experience. We are asking them to put together a presentation about their experience for their community. Of course, I will blog about it, so more on them later.

Two classes today. For the first class, the Tucanes, we are reviewing colors. I made flash cards and wrote each word in a different color (i.e. "Blue" is written in red.) I'm excited to see how quickly they can call out the color of the crayon instead of the word they are reading. For the second class, the Aguilas, we will continue our "no Spanish" policy and work on pronunciation and listening comprehension. I plan on telling a story, reading it twice, and then asking questions. Tough stuff!

Yoga Wendy gave me the most baller compliment last Tuesday. As I was doing Crow, she said that I could easily be on the cover of Yoga Journal. Uh huh... and today I did something even cooler. I was balancing on my hands with my legs wrapped around my arms and my ankles crossed in front of me. (Did I lose you already?) I lifted my ankles towards my chest and placed the crown of my head on the ground and held for five breaths. After that, I lifted my head back up and extended my legs up into Firefly. And then I fell on my ass. I'm really digging the noted progress in my yoga practice and can't even imagine where I will be after I complete my year in Honduras. Amy 2, Honduras 0.

I know there are rumors circling about your Pen Pals. No, they didn't die and no, I didn't forget! Our internet is still having issues and unfortunately, until it is fixed, it is not fast enough to send attachments (letters and pictures this time). As soon as we are up and running, you will get Round 2 of your letters! I will keep your posted.

Don't forget to email me or post as a comment the questions you want answered for AA Tuesdays. I'm looking forward to learning what you want to read on the blog and who is desperate for points!

Mosquito Bites: 3
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 0

5 comments:

  1. My Question for Ask Amy Tuesdays*:

    Why the hell ARE you moving back to Boston? Cali is ALWAYS SUNNY! We've had officially 2.7 cloudy days since we moved here... and only one of those has been a whole day.

    *Shameless plug for Amy moving to California

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) i'm with anne.

    2) tropical storm richard is on it's way, enjoy the sun while you can and be safe! (i think i just stole a possible paula comment)

    which leads into AAT question (#2 if you've been counting): have any tropical storms/hurricanes hit there yet while you were there? I really haven't been paying attention... and how prepared are you/your community/your residency/etc. for such events?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for competitive tanning! Don't I get a point just for my long-distance competition? And YES MOVE TO CALI! It is sunny even in the law library ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would like you to also include me in the long distance tanning competition. i can be the underdog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have a roof deck at NU- AND if I can get you an apt in the greenhouse, they have a roof deck POOL!

    question for AA Tuesday:
    What haiku would best describe your week?

    ReplyDelete