Sunday, October 17, 2010

U.S.Agenda Pt 4

First, a warm welcome to Naomi, who just signed up for Team Amy! #36! Way to go, Gnomies! You get one point!

Being home was awesome! My trip in the U.S. wrapped up with the most delicious salad ever made (quorn, not chicken)...


... going to see a mildly entertaining and far from realistic romantic comedy, and a car ride to DC not short of laughter. While listening to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing," the following occurred:
Mom: You know how songs remind you of certain people?
Amy: Of course.
Mom: Well [laughing]... this song reminds me of a guy. He loved Journey, but he had testicular cancer.
Amy: Was that one sentence? He loved Journey, BUT he had testicular cancer?
Mom: Amy, what are you doing?
Amy: Writing this conversation down for the blog.
Mom: Amy, you CAN'T DO THAT. Some things are private!
Amy: There's nothing private about this conversation. You didn't mention any names.
Mom: I know! But I don't want you putting this on the internet so that everyone can...
Amy: ... read how silly you are?
Mom: [Laughing] No!
Amy: I think you mean yes.
Mom and I made it to DC in under 3 hours, and she did all the driving. Thanks mom! Amy 0, Honduras 0, Naomi 1, Mom 1.


First stop was at the ol' apartment to see the ol' roommates. I learned things I never suspected after my year living with them, such as Dawn's real personality! She gets points (and props) for being a genuine badass. Amy 0, Honduras 0, Naomi 1, Mom 1, Dawn 1. Mom finally got to meet her rival-commenter, Scully, in person. She insisted a picture was taken (and posted).


I even got to hang out on the roof deck overlooking the city with a good friend as if I never left. Hi Mr. Tea!

Post apartment chilling, Scheffer picked me up and we successfully drove to U Street. We only had three close-calls within 30 seconds of each other. That biker came out of nowhere, right? The two of us caught up over an adventurous meal at Dukem, which apparently serves the best Ethiopian food in Washington. Ethiopian wasn't our thing and we couldn't help but imagine how the injera was expanding in our stomach while digesting. How do you make that spongy stuff anyway? Can you even call that bread?

It was a day of indulgence. Aside from Ethiopian for lunch and Indian for dinner, I scored a Pumpkin Spice Latte and a delicious Marshmallow Dream Bar from Starbucks. Don't mind if I do! Stomach = full.

A big thank you to Scheffer for entertainment, staying awake, loving dirty rap music, and getting me to the airport in plenty of time. I needed to spend some time jamming/white girl dancing with my girl. Muchos puntos para ti! Amy 0, Honduras 0, Naomi 1, Mom 1, Dawn 1, Schef 1,000.

Your eyes do not deceive you. I am blogging at 3am from the airport. It took me less than 20 minutes to check in and get to my gate, leaving me 2 hours to "hang." The airport is empty.


Eerily empty.


Am I the only one here? No, thank god. The only other people in the entire airport are on my flight. I hear the Spanish already! I should be back in Honduras by 1pm should things go smoothly. Hopefully I'll get in some sleep between now and then, because Amy is a tired little girl!

See you for Part Two of my Honduran adventure!

Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 0, Naomi 1, Mom 1, Dawn 1, Schef 1,000.

5 comments:

  1. cookies were (yes, were) amazing! thank you, amy's mom! (can i call you paula?)

    oh and hope your flight was ok amy, i guess.. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for a successful trip home! It would have been better if I had still been in D.C., though. Let's be honest, shall we?

    Honduras vol.2 will be amaze-balls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scully, how did you get the first post? Yes you can call me Paula, of course. And thank you for the compliment on the cookies. Any time you want some more just give me a call. And for Amy;s last blog, she will have to answer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, it seems like you had a great time in the US!!!! Did you meet the girls? I really want to come and visit you in Honduras! Maybe if I make the big bucks as a teacher I will before you leave next year :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos of the empty airport. What's that movie when people were sleeping and when they wake up half of their airplane is gone? I think that's what happened..

    ReplyDelete