Thinking about my Dad today on his birthday. And thinking about Mom and Rani and wishing we could all be together. Soon, soon!
I was shaken up yesterday morning. I hitched a ride down with my neighbors to yoga and on the way, we got into a really bad car accident with another pickup truck that was driving up the mountain. From what I remember, both trucks were driving in the middle on the windy road and on a blind curve, swerved and sideswiped. Both driver's side tires blew out and the trucks were totaled. In the car with me was my neighbor, her 16 year old daughter, and two little children both under 5 years old. How lucky that no one got hurt (except for bumps and bruises) and that I wasn't riding in the truck bed as I usually do. It's moments like these that remind us to be thankful for life and to never take it for granted.
I'm not exactly sure what happens in Honduras (in the cuenca especially) when there is a car accident. Both drivers immediately got out of the car to assess the damage, started pointing fingers, and then got on the cell phones to call friends, family, and I assume any connections they have to the police department. I doubt drivers here have insurance and since the police can be "bought" to do just about anything, I am sure whoever knows somebody who knows somebody who knows the cops is going to skirt their responsibility. On my way back up from yoga (1.5 hours later), both cars and parties were still there, unmoved. Are there even tow trucks in Honduras? How are these families going to afford to fix their cars? Will everything be paid out of pocket?
Despite the accident, yoga was awesome. Wendy was on vacation for a few weeks so this is my first week back and it feels SO GOOD. I couldn't quite "center" after the accident, but getting my body bending and flexing the way it does always seems to calm the mind. (Amy +1)
Yoga and running are awesome. After my vacation, I've kinda "slacked" on staying in shape and instead got really good at eating everything in sight. I went on a really awesome run yesterday, and through the sweat, tears, and hot sun, made it about 3 miles before collapsing back at home. (Amy +1) It feels GOOD to run, like its the most natural thing your body can do. I know Yoga Wendy would disagree, but if anyone can make yoga and running work for them, its going to be me!
Class this week went really well. I did a great activity on Wednesday with my most advanced students. I broke the class into two groups and using the books that Aunt Maxine sent me (point for you!), asked them to rewrite the story in a different tense. For example, one book was written in present tense, so they had to change all of the verbs and corresponding words (like "next week" and "tomorrow") to past tense. After rewriting the story, one student had to read it aloud while the others acted it out (an exercise in pronunciation and comprehension). They did an awesome job and really enjoyed the activity.
I also started to work with the Guaruma Guides on learning the tour in English. Yesterday, the guys took the tour (written in Spanish) and began to translate it into English, while I helped them not be so literal in the translation. I expect this process to take a couple weeks. The next step will be to have them read it aloud and pronounce all of the words correctly. Finally, they will need to memorize it. Hopefully we can do all of this before I leave Honduras!
I got an excellent AA Tuesday question on my last post from an anonymous commenter (let me know who you are so you can get credit!) and am looking forward to more questions from The Team! It makes me feel so good that you are still with me after the last grueling 6 months. I love you all.
Mosquito Bites: 2
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 0, Aunt Maxine 1

glad to hear you are ok sheesh.
ReplyDeletethey will have memorized the tour in english, but what do they do about tourists' questions etc...?
that question sounds like it came from john F.
ReplyDeleteTo the Pimentel family, we are always together even if there is distance between us.
Jeez! Glad you are fine!!!! Besos!
ReplyDeleteAmy,
ReplyDeleteYour comment about your dad on his birthday touched me. I wanted to share some remembrances of my own. I will start at the very beginning.
When your parents got married, it was a family reunion and wedding extravaganza. When we got there, we talked to a bunch of folk up in the hotel for a while. Then we walked downstairs to meet your dad. Wearing a white open-collar shirt and sunglasses, he was in the arcade playing something along the lines of Karate Champ. I would bet $1 that's exactly what game it was, but don't hold me to that. I remember him seeming like a wizard on that game. Right away he seemed so cool, so easygoing, so approachable. He gave me some pointers on how to play the game and even let me jump in. It was no coincidence I went on to love Karate Champ for years.
As I got to know your dad over time, he was that same person I first met. He was accepting of others, he was kind, he was curious as he embraced and learned about other cultures and he was as easy to be around every day as he was that first afternoon in the arcade. He was humble and gentle, and not only were those traits contagious to those around him, but he made a real point of conspicuously teaching them to you.
When you were young, you used to be kind of smart. We all kind of knew it. And you kind of knew it. But among the things your dad taught you was to say, "Remember, you're just a piece of meat." This is to say that we're all just people. You may have been really bright, but you should think of yourself as just another 4-year-old, no better than anyone else. I think that humility was ingrained in you and has remained with you still. It is one of several traits that you inherited directly from him.
Your dad was great, Amy. I miss him, too.
Love, Jason