Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Steve Scully Tribute

You may be asking why, on AvW, you would have to read a Steve Scully Tribute. I have my reasons:

1. I just received a rockin' package from Sculls containing some of my snacking favorites (Tomato/Basil Wheat Thins, dried mango, candied ginger), supplies for my students, a jammin' CD, and a very special remix of the Snoop Dogg classic "Gin and Juice." I'm not sure whether he sent the package to display his friendship OR whether he wanted a shout-out and its accompanying points. Either way, it rocks and I'm super happy! +10 Sculls!

2. Scully is the only person that submitted an AA Tuesday question this week. And therefore, he gets more attention. Scully asked:
Amy, How much do you know about the government in Honduras?  The 2009 constitutional crisis?  Who is the president there? How bout the geography?  I will assume Atlantida is a province/state/whatever of the country.  How many other are there? What/where is the capital of Honduras? What is the currency? Dollar exchange rate? Religion?
Well, Sculls. Are you trying to make me feel like a Stupid? I don't know much about Honduras, so here is my abbreviated run-down:
  • Honduras is about the size of England and has a population of about 7.3 million. 
  • The capital is Tegucigalpa, located inland towards the southeast.
  • The country code is 504.
  • The currency is called Lempira, and it is going for about 18.9 to $1.
  •  The current president is Porfirio Lobo Sosa, who took over for Manuel Zelaya. For more information on him, the coup, the constitutional crisis, please Wikipedia. 
  • Utila (one of the Bay Islands) is the cheapest place in the world where you can get your Scuba licenses.
I didn't answer all of your questions, but I did OK. One point for me and one point for you, Sculls, for remembering AA Tuesday!

I'm back to school, and this week has kind of been a wash. It's mostly review, and only half of the students are showing up because their "real" school isn't actually in session yet. Their break continues to the first week of February, so Guaruma is getting a head-start.

As I've been bragging, the weather continues to be awesome. Little rain and lots of sun. The cuenca and the river actually NEED the rain to make the roads less dusty and the river more lively. I can't imagine what dry season is going to be like (February-July). Vamos a ver.


Ok, so don't forget to send in your questions for next week's AA Tuesday and check back in tomorrow for more thorough updates!

Mosquito Bites: 2
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Scully 11

1 comment:

  1. muahaha package praise, blog tribute. my life aspirations are coming to fruition!

    ReplyDelete