So to answer your question, Scully, I suck so much because my last blog entry was posted last Wednesday and it has taken me a week to update. I also suck so much because I asked my fans to shout me out if they are still reading... and I got two comments, including yours! Does my mom even love me?Speaking of mom...
Awhile ago, mom sent in an AA Tuesday question asking when I teach, from what inspiration do I draw? Which of my teachers have influenced me?
My students inspire me. And the chance that I could be enabling a future opportunity for them in the workforce is inspiring too. The four volunteer teachers at Guaruma work together to give our students the tools they need to potentially work in the ecotourism industry that has flooded the Cangrejal River Valley and their communities. In many ways, their English instruction places a broader spectrum of jobs, education, and travel at their fingertips and makes them comfortable communicating with tourists who travel through their village. I love my job day-to-day and especially when thinking about the greater picture of opportunity they will be afforded.
As far as teachers who have inspired me, I think back to the creativity of activity and learning from elementary school through college. I remember the interaction and community action in Mrs. Burlingame's classes (8th/9th grade English), the passion of Mrs. Happeny (11th/12th grade English), the hilarity of Mr. Hall (11th/12th grade Math), the teacher-student relation created by Mr. Neugebauer (5th grade), and the independence and empowerment I felt in many of my university classes.Points for both Scully and Mom for sending me questions.
I've been in Honduras for 6 months already. Halfway there. Crazy, wha!? With the remaining 6 months of my time, I plan on starting three projects in the community:
- Starting once-a-week adult ESL classes. During the parent-teacher meeting, the parents in Las Mangas expressed interest in having English instruction. I hope to organize a class once a week for an hour and a half to start giving them the basics. It will be great that their children will be able to help them with their homework!
- Teaching the Guaruma guides their tour of the Guaruma Sendero in English. As I may have mentioned before, Guaruma works on local ecotourism and community development projects in the Cangrejal River watershed and offers guided nature hikes in the Pico Bonito/Cangrejal River area. Guaruma provides students with training to insure that all of our student guides are knowledgeable about the biodiversity of the tropical forest. They use the nature trails surrounding their town to teach about flora and fauna found in their backyards. Right now, the student guides are only able to give the tour to Spanish-speaking patrons... but we're working on that!
- Raising awareness of the negative consequences of damming up the Cangrejal River, as it is being debated by Honduran Congressman. In 2001, plans were announced to dam the Cangrejal for a hydroelectric project resulting in more eco-friendly electricity for the Cangrejal and La Ceiba communities. Community activists and environmentalists fought the dam bitterly, arguing that the river's natural beauty and all of its flora and fauna would disappear, destroying all reasons to appreciate the area.
It is going to be an excellent 6 more months and I hope that you'll continue following along with my adventures in the wild!
If you are reading and haven't joined The Team, do it! Send me AA Tuesday questions and post comments - I want to know what you're thinking and what you'd like to read.
Mosquito Bites: 0
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 0, Scully 1, Mom 1



can you teach me spanish? (curses only works fine)
ReplyDeletesorry i didn't comment last time! still reading :) hehe
ReplyDeletemiss you. come home soon! (for my sake)
crickets and tumbleweeds?
ReplyDeletemiss you
I read!!! :) Keep writing! Do the emails count as well?! ;)
ReplyDeleteMoms don't get breaks do we? I appreciate your answers to my question of the week. I think I would have guessed the teachers you mentioned.
ReplyDeletei LOOK VERY FORWARD TO YOUR NEXT 6 MONTHS PROJECTS WITH THE COMMUNITY.. I have to say that when I was a community volunteer we did not have the means to share our work as you do.. Thank you so much for all of this.