Before I begin, I have to shout out Rachel and Anne, who both posted excellent questions for next week's AA Tuesday! You love me! You really love me! And you each get a point! As for the rest of you...
Last Thursday, I asked the Nutrias class to help the staff create English-Spanish signs to post around Guaruma. Using some materials sent to me by Caitlin and Aunt Maxine, the kids got to work.
We made signs that said kitchen, office, and computer classroom.
Others gave instructions like, "Close the door" and "Turn off the lights."
From what I could tell, the boys really liked hanging their hard work and new vocabulary all over Guaruma. Yay for the boys and yay for Guaruma!
Moving on...
El Dia de Amistad (AKA Friendship Day) is celebrated in Honduras in lieu of Valentine's Day. There is some lovey-dovey stuff and Hallmark-paraphernalia, but the holiday is really focused on friendship.
In the spirit of the holiday, the Guaruma staff along with some others were invited to a party hosted by Jimmy, a board member and friend. The party was supposed to start at 8pm but in true Honduran style, everyone started arriving around 10. There wasn't much to do and it was suggested that a projector was hooked up and that the group sing karaoke songs using YouTube videos. Wearing party hats of course.



Worst idea ever.
It started out innocent. A little "I will Survive" and Bob Marley mixed in with some classic Spanish favorites but then... it just got ridiculous.

The songs got worse. The crowd got bored. And it got late. The crowd even boo'ed my selection of: "I'll Make Love to You" by Boys2Men. Really? Really!?

Really late.
So late that it wasn't even documented. The greater part of the group sang karaoke from 10pm until 3am. I cannot make this up although I wished, with all of my exhaustion, that I had. Every party has a pooper and the pooper of this party was Amy. Pimentel.
Shocker.
Never again will I sing karaoke on YouTube. Hope everyone had a stellar Valentine's Day.
Mosquito Bites: 2
Weird Spider Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 0, Rachel 1, Anne 1, YouTube Karaoke -100






since amy is the worst sister ever... happy birthday rani!!!
ReplyDeleteYeah for sculls!!!! 10 for him..happy Birthday Rani sweet 23.. .. Amy you got a valentine from Mom o i should get a point too
ReplyDeleteI did have a question for tuesday...I was told that there are no regulations for pedestrian crossing the streets and that it is very dangerous to cross the streets in Honduras and that driving too is very dangerous. true or false?
ReplyDeleteI second that Sculls. I will be awarding Rani 23pts assuming she a) has posted in the last month and b) was one of the people who emailed Amy to ask if she was okay earlier this month.
ReplyDeleteThat said, Amy what time is your bed time?