Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Photo Backlog

I’m not sure if I’m ready for the following AA Tuesday question left by an anonymous (mysterious?) commenter. I love that Mr. Anonymous is so curious about the following:
Amy, what information are you picking up about businesses? Are most people self-employed? Are there entrepreneurs or small business people? How hard or easy is it to start a business? Would you say there is a thriving business community?
Good question, Mr. Anonymous. Unfortunately, I can’t really speak about Honduras as a whole but I can answer the question regarding La Ceiba and more specifically, the mountains above the city where I live. The majority of the people in La Ceiba and the surrounding areas are not self-employed unless they own a family-run pulperia (corner store) out of their homes. 
In the valley, there are very few entrepreneurs or small business people, which is an issue that Guaruma is trying to tackle at the grassroots level. Those families who have small businesses likely received micro-loans after Hurricane Mitch flooded the area in 1998. Such businesses that sprung up are craftsmen and artisans, pulperias, and repair shops. For instance, in the valley each community has their electrician, motorbike repairman, and roof-fixer, passing down family trades from father to son. 
I imagine it is very difficult to start a business because of the lack of start-up cash. And it would be very difficult to maintain a business in an established community because of the lack of money coming in. From my understanding, people “maintain” and eke out a living by continuing to do what their parents did. As you may infer, not much “progress” is made.
I hope that answers your question, Mr. Anonymous. One point for your contribution and another for your mysteriousness. I dig it.

I finally uploaded/stole some recent pictures and am excited to share with you “A Day in the Life of Amy.”

Cleaning. It’s hard to keep everything clean, dirt and dust-free. Sometimes, we must take drastic measures like beating up the couch with a broom and then leaving it in the sun to “de-mold.”


We motivate each other to clean.

Slap it harder!
Personal Maintenance. Hair grows, and if you’re a boy that sucks. Austin’s hair was a bush and he asked me if I cut hair before. I told him that I can give one hell of a Mohawk (see: Will Wright circa June 2010) and apparently, that qualified me. It was my first time and perhaps NOT my last. (+1 for my skills and Austin’s bravery.)



I even did some groovy school-boy styling. My specialty

Look dreamy, Austin.
 

Cooling off. It is getting hotter by the day. And I mean, “sitting on the equator” hot. Uncomfortable hot. “Hair dries instantly” hot. “Put the fan directly on my face” hot. So, we must go to beautiful waterfalls and swim. Woe is me!




Sometimes we even take our blow-up friends so they can cool off too.






It’s hard to believe its February. 4 months to go of enjoying days like this!

Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Mr. Anonymous 2, Austin 1

5 comments:

  1. I've never been the first comment before!
    I want to ride a whale in a waterfall. Living vicariously through you, Amers. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rode a blow-up whale in Antigua! Fun times :)

    ReplyDelete