Yes, your translation is correct. It has been 7 months since I arrived in Honduras and whoa, has time flown by! I'm still as happy and in awe as I was my first month in the village, which can only mean that I've really made Las Mangas my home and Guaruma my work. There is still so much I want to accomplish before I jump on a plane home.
Most importantly, I want to see more progress in the kids and dedicate more time outside of class to tutor them (and their parents) in English. Some of them just need a little extra push to find comfort in parts of the language they already know and courage to continue learning.
I have at least 5 adults interested in classes so this week, we will compromise on a time that is good for everyone. I am thinking an hour and a half a week with a small group of eager learners would be excellent!
On top of that, I have my mom's visit the first week of March, my sister's after graduation (fingers crossed), and I have to choose a date and purchase a one-way ticket back to the states.
I'm still chugging along on my Spanish. It's getting there, but I'm not quite fluent. My confidence in the language has increased exponentially and I'm discovering that I can eavesdrop on conversations and small-talk with locals without much thought. But sometimes I get caught up in my head and my words don't form how they should, like I'm giving a presentation to a group of really important and judgmental people and I'm super nervous. Get a grip, Ames!
7 months down, 3 and a half to go! Oy!
There are so many things I can't wait to share, including what Guaruma did for El Dia de Amistad (Valentine's Day) and the latest activities we've been doing in class. Unfortunately, the internet is shit and my pictures are not uploading so please have patience because some great posts and pictures are on the way!
Exciting news! I am an official resident of Boston! Rani found me an apartment and mom has been working overtime to make sure the leasing process goes smoothly! Come visit me at 62 Boylston and knock on every door because I can't remember for the life of me what apartment number I am!
In unexciting news and unfortunate realities... NO ONE sent me an AA Tuesday question. My heart hurts! Let's fix this, yes? Send them for next week. Can't wait!
1. It has definitely felt like 7 months without Amy.
ReplyDelete2. CA > MA but I will come visit you with a giant hug and an even bigger smile! Plan on buying a futon... I'll be there a lot.
3. AA : How "dangerous" is Honduras as a tourist destination? We all hear scary things about Central America. Are they true?
amy i have a question for you for aa tuesday! how are you going to incorporate this experience in the mountains in your every day life in boston?? you should write it down and look at it so that you don't get caught up in the urban life!!
ReplyDeleteapple pie is DELICIOUS
ReplyDelete