Holy Moly! My Team rocks! Since last Tuesday, the AA Tuesdays rained all over my inbox and comment section. I have 8 questions in waiting, all equally spectacular and important for my readers to know about Honduras. Because of your overwhelming support, I am going to answer not 1, but 2 questions today AND award points to Anne, Rachel, Scully, Mom, and Aunt Maxine!
Let's get started.
In the spirit of my mom coming to visit in 10 days, the first question comes from Anne, and she asks:
Amy, how "dangerous" is Honduras as a tourist destination? We all hear scary things about Central America. Are they true?
It's true, you do hear a lot of scary things about Central America, but I'm not going to repeat any of them on this blog! Central America is an amazing tourist destination and very well-traveled, mostly by people OTHER THAN North Americans. Between the countries in Central America, Honduras is not the most popular perhaps because it is often ranked as the most dangerous country in the world, or because getting from Point A to Point B is complicated by lack of roads and infrastructure. But truthfully, I think Honduras is completely underrated and in fact, even more special because it is less travelled than its more popular neighbors (Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Mexico).
Yes, Honduras can be dangerous. But so can New York City. Or Altoona, PA. You just have to be smart.
Here's a plug for Honduras: The country has everything... some of the world's most amazing and cheapest diving in the Bay Islands, nationally protected coral reefs, wildlife that can't be found anywhere else in the world (a tiny hummingbird and a pink boa), national parks, rivers, and beautiful lakes, mountains, coffee, tobacco, beaches, and deserted islands. And plus, it's cheap and friendly!
The second question comes from Aunt Maxine, and she asks:
Amy, has your experience in Honduras changed your mind about what type of law you might like to specialize in?
Actually, yes it has. When applying to law school, I was mostly interested in public interest law. Now, after spending 7 months in the third world, I'd love to learn more about international law. I think a career in which I can advocate for poor communities, international human rights, or even hold companies accountable for work and labor standards would be interesting as well. We'll see. There's a lot to learn in law school and my interests may even change again! One thing is for sure... I will not be working in corporate law! (But don't place your bets yet.)
Thanks so much for your questions Anne and AM! An additional point for you!
On Sunday, I was invited for a leisurely drive up the valley to Rio Viejo, a small village about 30 minutes from Las Mangas. The sights and views are extraordinary. And look at the sky!


It is in Rio Viejo where a few small rivers join together to make the Rio Cangrejal, the large 20-mile stretch of river that supports the city of La Ceiba and the cuenca's more than 12 villages.



On the drive down, we stopped to take gorgeous photos of the river valley and some of the Class-5 rapids of the Cangrejal River.



The river makes a beautiful horseshoe as it winds around and down the mountains.

We took pictures of some homes on the way down. Most of them are built atop hills with nothing but a huge landslide when peering out the back door.

And also a pretty typical scene: clothes drying along a barbed wire fence.

This house has a sign that says "se behde tamales" which can be roughly translated to "se vende tamales" or "tamales for sale." It's not uncommon that signs are misspelled. Even those put up by the government.

It was an awesome drive and I love being driven around so I can let my eyes wander off the road to look at the beautiful scenery. It reminds me of my grandfather except that when he sight-sees, he happens to also be driving! Silly Grandpa!
Yesterday I was sick. I had an all-over icky feeling that I couldn't shake. I slept for 14 hours the night before and then spent most of daylight in bed. When I got up to make a bowl of pasta (best food ever for a whompski mood) and breathed in the fresh air, I felt much better. I took some Advil, ate some soup for dinner, and drank lots of water. Being sick without your Mom sucks!
Today is a new day and today, I feel better! Yoga this morning, laundry, fresh-fruit smoothies, and sunshine! Oh, and smiles all over :)
Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Anne 2, Rachel 1, Scully 1, Mom 1, Aunt Maxine 2
loves:
ReplyDelete1) horseshoe pic
2) usage of "whompski"
hates:
ReplyDelete1) losing in the final score battle
2) losing in the final score battle
Your mama will be there soon to take care of you.
ReplyDelete