Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WTF Blogger?

Ok, Blogger. I have a bone to pick with you! My Team has been waiting for a full week for a blog post and I have been unable to satisfy their AvW fix because you haven't allowed me to post a new blog! Are you silencing my freedom of expression?

Sorry, Team. Until today, Blogger has prevented me from writing, which means that I missed AA Tuesday (which is OK because no one sent me a question) and a whole lot of things that have been going on my life. For instance...

It was as if I was in New York City, dressed to the nines for a night of culture and gourmet food, except I was in La Ceiba and wearing clothes that hadn’t been washed for weeks. They were my “nice” clothes!

Austin, Karolina, and Amy self-portrait
On Saturday night, the Guaruma staff and a few friends attended NaturArtLianza 2011, an opening of PiQ Art Gallery and The Lodge at Pico Bonito. It was “fabulous” in all forms of the word. It was a classy event.

Sandra and I pose with some European-Ceiba friends


The natural beauty of the Lodge and the amazing Honduran paintings, famous glass art, jewelry, music and fine cuisine (and free wine) made it a memorable event. I felt like this was the “other side” of Honduras.  There were 5 or 6 artists represented who had varying styles. My favorite was this style.

Love the painting on the left.

After schmoozing, we found some rather comfortable couches and lounged. I can’t remember the last time I lounged on a comfortable couch. A rare thing in Honduras!

Nice hiking boots. Stay classy, Austin

The hors devoirs were delicious but not filling enough and we were hungry! We drove to the least classy place we knew to grab some grub. It was basically a BBQ place that only served meat – fried pork, grilled pork, fried beef, grilled beef, fried chicken, and grilled chicken. I ate the fixings: plantains, beans, and cabbage salad. They still tasted like meat.
 
Two of our oldest students getting ready to chow down

Post dinner was when the real party started. We went to Hibou, the “hippest” club in Ceiba and danced until 1:30am. We had to grab some drinks to get the party started. Tequila shots, please!




We were the ONLY people dancing ALL night. It’s probably because we shamed everyone with our moves.


Attractive

It was really fun to have a out-of-the-ordinary night! We ended up getting back to Las Mangas at 2:30, which is the latest I've stayed out since... college? There was no hangover and no regrets! A perfect night!

The week has been great so far. We have a new director and since he joined us, our schedule as doubled with responsibility and time commitments. On top our of classes, we have an activity night in Las Mangas on Monday, an activity night in El Pital on Tuesday, and various weekend events that require our attendance. On top of this, Guaruma added at least 20 new students, making our class sizes anywhere from 10-14 students. This is the way Guaruma should be! Needless to say, I'm much busier. But that means I'll have twice as much to blog about.

Hopefully Blogger is fixed for good so I can keep you updated with regular posts and pictures! I've missed writing to my Team. The only points awarded today are to Scully, Mom, and Claudio who emailed to see if I was OK due to lack of posting (meaning they've checked within the last week!).

Mosquito Bites: 3
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 0, Scully 1, Mom 1, Claudio 1

4 comments:

  1. i'm going to pretend these are rave pictures. good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tequila shots for Amy?!?!!? ruhh-roh

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummm i facebook messaged you about the lack of updates. i'm giving myself a point :)

    ReplyDelete