Wednesday, October 13, 2010

U.S.Agenda Pt 2

Happy birthday, Marley!!! Amy 0, Honduras 0, Marley 27.

I got an ear infection the day before my trip back to the U.S. and was in complete denial about it. At first I thought it was an Earwig... and then thankful that it wasn't. It was Monday night and I was curled up in the fetal position on my sister's couch whining from the pain when we decided to go to the ER. Despite my complaint of "severe ear pain, nausea, and dizziness to the point of feeling faint" (as suggested by my sister's BFF/soon to be nurse Chrystina, it would "be a couple hours before someone could see me." And they were right. Two and a half hours later, the four of us (me, Rani, Chrystina, and my ear pain) were still in the waiting room. We set several deadlines: Ok, by 8:00, if they don't call you we'll go. Ok, by 9:00. 9:15. 9:30. Finally we left... untreated, unhappy, and unsatisfied. Amy 0, Honduras 0, Marley 27, Healthcare -1.


At least I got a cool consolation prize: a hospital bracelet. Amy 0, Honduras 0, Marley 27, Healthcare -2.


The next morning, the journey continued with a trip back to Altoona. Mom kept me solidly entertained for 8 hours with her attempts at hip-hop dancing:
Amy: Mom, haven't you gone back to Jazzercise to learn new moves?
Mom: No, but I'm OK with following along. It's "freestyling" that I need help with.
Amy: "Freestyling?"
Mom: Yea, you know... like if I'm dancing with a group of people at a wedding or something, and they push me in the middle of the circle.
I gave mom a few hip-hop lessons in the car (while I was driving) including how to "rock" and "throw elbows" to T. Pain's "Let Me Buy You A Drink." It was priceless. So Jason, to answer your existential question, Mom is becoming a hip-hop dancer.

The scenery driving through the Poconos made me miss fall! No wonder people come from all across the country to see the leaves change colors. Honduras, eat your heart out! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Marley 27, Healthcare -2.



To make up for mom's lack of dancing skills is her ability to throw together quick, delicious meals. She calls herself a "Short-Order Cook." Her words, not mine. For my first home-made Mom dinner, I had half a small spaghetti squash and a good old-fashioned stir-fry. Stomach happy = Amy happy. Good work mom! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Marley 27, Healthcare -2, Mom 1.


I've been keeping myself busy with appointments, errands, organizing, running, walking around proper grocery stores and on carpeted floors, sleeping on soft pillows, and driving with the windows down. Enjoying it while I have it! I got my psoriasis injections yesterday (woohoo!) and am headed to Target today expecting to have a spiritual experience. I also have a hair appointment this morning and still don't have a clue what to do. Short? Long? Layers? Bangs? Blonde? Oy!

I can't wait to tell you about the amazing packages I received from my friends! Next posted will be a dedication to them.

Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Marley 27, Healthcare -2, Mom 1.

4 comments:

  1. That meal looks like it's from CENTRAL America... ps. love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay you've been running, so proud :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I miss the fall and leaves too!!!!!!! Keep enjoying girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete