Thursday, November 11, 2010

Invasion

We have been attacked. Quick, run for cover! Shut all of your doors and windows. They are here!

Ants! Big, fast, stupid, red ants are moving in to our roof. There are millions flooding in from everywhere - the compost, the classroom, and the entrance gate all in single file lines heading up our walls and into our roof. Yes, I want to vomit. Amy 0, Honduras 1.

The line from the bottom left through the window to the root are ants. Thousands of ants.

And as if that weren't enough, the ants disturbed a wasp nest, so now there are wasps flying everywhere. Ugh!


We closed the doors and plan on leaving them along for a couple hours hoping that they fight it out and find a home. Preferably not one directly overhead.

Ants on our door step.

Ant update (four hours later): They ants invaded our roof where the wasps had a nest. They marched in like soldiers and carried our hundreds of wasp larvae. The ants have disappeared. We like the ants now. 

There are more cool bugs... this caterpillar eats leaves of a certain tree, and it is huge! And weird looking.


For perspective.

Also, here are the pics from Photography Fail that I promised to share with you:

Oranges still on the tree. Oranges in Honduras are green.

A bird's nest at eye level.


Mr. Iguana catching some rays.

Leaves, not flowers. The green leaves on this tree turn into a beautiful pink with a soft texture.



Looking down the tube of a blooming palm.

And here some that Sam took that were worth sharing with you. He demanded credit, but that's probably because he is much better than I am.

Oil on the rocks


The view from Sam's outdoor cabin. 

Bananas

Dinosaur?

There is a tick on the Iguana. 



Happy Veterans Day! Thanks to all of those who have served our country. I know its not worth much, but you get a point from me!


Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 1, Veterans 1.

6 comments:

  1. HOLY. CRAP. dat nasty. 1 point for the ants for carrying off wasp young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those ants are awesomeeeee. i'd probably cry and run off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch!!! red ants bite, run as fast as you can

    ReplyDelete
  4. I slept with red ants before... so I don't feel bad for you. God I miss Thailand................. jk lmao lol fml

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just Kidding????? I thought Rani was ready to take Tom?????

    ReplyDelete