A warm welcome to Courtney, who I believe is the newest member of our team. Or maybe its Amanda Goldstein. Hard to say, but either way, you haven't yet gotten a shout-out/points for joining so... Yay!
After our first successful parent meeting in Las Mangas, we headed up to El Pital in our super fancy Guaruma bus for round two. The bus is so big that Yens, our Environmental Science teacher/volunteer and newly trained traffic cop, had to direct us out.
We had to take some bus pictures to document our field trip. It's not everyday that we are ridin' in style.
25 parents came to our meeting in El Pital but, unlike the meeting in Las Mangas, all of the kids wanted in on it. We didn't permit their entrance so they stood at the door for the entire 2 hours. Suckas!
My presentation didn't go as smoothly as during our meeting in Las Mangas, but that was because of all the titties that I saw. I cannot make this up. So many titties. Two mothers were breast-feeding throughout the entire meeting, one of them nursing a three-year old. The repetitive awkward eye contact and self-reminders to "not look down" distracted me!
![]() |
| Sandra is speaking to Claudia's mom (Kelly's Pen Pal)... probably about how shy she is and that she has trouble viewing the board. She may need glasses. |
After we concluded, the kids rushed in to see us (like they don't get enough of us during the week). I don't mean to brag, but they all rushed to me first, because they could not wait to say their ABC's. They had all practiced hard and were able to recite the alphabet perfectly. They like to receive hugs and high-fives for a job well done. It's the least I can do!
![]() |
| From my left: Luis, Sulma, Neri, Cristian, Anabel and Issi |
I spoke with Luis' mom for awhile post meeting and she told me how much Luis liked English class and how he studies all the time at home. She also said that he loves to learn and becomes fully absorbed into the subjects he enjoys, English being his favorite. I was flattered when she told me he talks about me and the class all the time! Point for me? Yes! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Court/Amanda 1.
Today, I am on call at Guaruma because a big tourism organization, Recotourh, is having a meeting of some 40-odd people in our classroom. I've had to coordinate a little this morning as well as small-talk with those attending... all in Spanish! A sign that my language skills have improved. I think I understood everything that everyone was saying. So cool. Amy 2, Honduras 0, Court/Amanda 1.
Looks like my Spanish will continue to mejorar because we are getting a new volunteer next week from Tegucigalpa, Honduras and he'll be living up here with us for a couple months. That means no more English! Very excited.
After the meeting at Guaruma today, I am heading down for a wine and cheese party hosted by Karen at Casa Cangrejal. Ugh! It is SO HARD to live in the Third World. She had freshly made cheeses shipped in from San Pedro Sula and I can't wait to eat them all. It's a good thing that I'm not Rani or Erika, because I am going to stuff my face with some smoked gouda... aged blue... fresh mozzarella... I'm drooling already. I promise to take some pictures to show you how we do wine and cheese in Honduras.
Don't forget to send in your questions for AA Tuesday and to join the team if you haven't already.
Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 0, Court/Amanda 1
Today, I am on call at Guaruma because a big tourism organization, Recotourh, is having a meeting of some 40-odd people in our classroom. I've had to coordinate a little this morning as well as small-talk with those attending... all in Spanish! A sign that my language skills have improved. I think I understood everything that everyone was saying. So cool. Amy 2, Honduras 0, Court/Amanda 1.
Looks like my Spanish will continue to mejorar because we are getting a new volunteer next week from Tegucigalpa, Honduras and he'll be living up here with us for a couple months. That means no more English! Very excited.
After the meeting at Guaruma today, I am heading down for a wine and cheese party hosted by Karen at Casa Cangrejal. Ugh! It is SO HARD to live in the Third World. She had freshly made cheeses shipped in from San Pedro Sula and I can't wait to eat them all. It's a good thing that I'm not Rani or Erika, because I am going to stuff my face with some smoked gouda... aged blue... fresh mozzarella... I'm drooling already. I promise to take some pictures to show you how we do wine and cheese in Honduras.
Don't forget to send in your questions for AA Tuesday and to join the team if you haven't already.
Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 0, Court/Amanda 1





i'm totally trying to pick out which parents were breast feeding......
ReplyDeleteHaha creeper
ReplyDelete