More difficult than killing big bugs, finding AC, and connecting to reliable internet is feeling girly. Between sweating all the time, not drying my hair, and having more muscle than most of the men here, I am CRAVING something (anything!) to make me feel like a girl again. Oh, how I yearn to feel attractive and have a pretty, girly face! Amy 0, Honduras 1. I know... beggars can't be choosers so any one of the following will do:
- Stalking beautiful men and pretending they're interested
- Trying on clothes I can't afford but must have
- Drinking a pi ña colada, strawberry daiquiri, sex on the beach, or a mango mojito
- Checking myself out in every mirror I pass - you know you do it!
- Wearing lip gloss because it be poppin'
- Driving around the city with big sunglasses, windows down, and blasting Justin Bieber
- Putting on perfume, preferably something by Chanel
- Jamming out to some Sara Bareilles
- Getting a mani/pedi while reading the latest OK! Magazine... I mean Vogue
- Buying anything from Sephora. Nay, just be seen in Sephora
- Waxing!
- Watching the Bachelor Pad, Dating in the Dark, and Secret Life in real time
Besides being a boy, I'm also a reading machine. In the two months I've been in the jungle, I've read (in order of awesomeness):
- "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang"
- "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"
- "The Client"
- "The Kite Runner"
- "Sammy's Hill"
I am trudging my way through "What is the What" and have just started "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. Have you read it? It's massive - like 969 really big pages with small writing and no pictures. I'm hoping to get through it before I go home because I'd hate to lug this book around with me. Wish me luck!
So, we had a super Sunday night. To no one's surprise and everyone's excitement, Austin has a shit load of Disney music on his computer. We put the playlist on shuffle and sang along to Disney classics such as Tale as Old as Time, Bare Necessities, A Whole New World, Under the Sea, and Can You Feel the Love Tonight. I may or may not have forced Austin to waltz with me to Once Upon a Dream, performed the sign language version of Colors of the Wind, or round up the troops for the robotic yet jolly Main Street Electrical Parade. Rani, don't worry, I prefaced this dance number with a description of our childhood (adulthood?) rendition of the parade around the living room table. We had a tad too much fun. I'm not sure who gets the point here... me for being a complete dork or Honduras for forcing me to be one... Amy 0, Honduras 2.
Post parade, we gathered together to watch the beloved Honduran film, Amor y Frijoles. The movie was about Karen, a woman who makes baliadas on the street, who suspects her husband is cheating on her. She feels so lonely that she sleeps with her neighbors husband. Her neighbor, a woman who sells fresh squeezed orange juice in the next tienda, gets her revenge by stealing Karen's chicken, making late phone calls, and paying a slutty blond woman to pretend she is the "other woman." Karen gets so pissed that she sleeps with a creepy motorcycle guy who hits on her everyday. Turns out, Karen's husband wasn't cheating on her. She finds God, gets pregnant, they all live happily ever after and literally, drive off into the sunset together with their neighbors. It was terrible, but an interesting exposé of Honduran culture.
Editor's Note: The movie was in Spanish, so I'm not actually sure that's what happened. Amy 0, Honduras 3.Classes today went well. Good attendance and participation. Lots of enthusiasm and learning! With the Mariposas, the youngest group, we finished our poster to hang on the wall. The poster is every letter of the alphabet with a word and picture that corresponds to each (i.e. A is for Apple). They were so proud of it and kept interrupting their drawing to pull me aside and sing the ABC's. Letters most forgotten, are H, I, J, and N. Here they are:
Editor's Note: Scully brought to my attention that our beautiful piece of art is missing the "S." I take full credit for this failure and will deduct 19 points from my current score of 0. Am I more disturbed that I didn't notice or that no one in my class of 5 noticed?Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy -19, Honduras 3


did you make them leave S off to torment me and the amazingly awesome "... is for S" i gave you a few weeks ago?
ReplyDeleteAre you sure "S" isnt the most forgotten? H, I, J and N are doin OK.... (joke #2 in case the first didn't get the point across)
ReplyDeleteIt was not accidental scully, Amy was tormenting
ReplyDeleteyou!!!!! Nor was it a Freudian slip!!!
oh and one more thing....did you actually make S into its own poster? since in fact S is for super schwing steve scully so sexified some soundlessly sob, sorbing spiritualistic sensations steve's sanctity spreads.
ReplyDeletepretty long for those tiny squares i guess
that was my favorite part of our childhood. that and pizza bagels.
ReplyDelete