- I can post pictures, and you can tell me what a good photographer I am. Oh, by the way, I just posted pictures.
- I can catch up with Mrs. Gardner for 30 minutes. Hi Mrs. Gardner! Have fun this weekend.
- I can stalk whoever I want to stalk without them knowing it. Yes, I'm stalking you.
- Facebook chat is way more reliable than GChat - especially with my make-me-beg-for-it internet connection.
- I can show off my Spanish skills by updating my status with carefully prewritten and approved Spanish sentences about my day.
- Two words: Birthday reminders!
- I am privy to deep thoughts by deep people. Today's favorite: Holy shit! My hair is brown!
- And real deep thoughts. "There's a proverb in Arabic that fits how many feel about the U.S.: 'When I hear your words I am happy; when I see your deeds I am sad.'"
- I can know who is engaged to whom and conveniently see a picture of the happy couple. I can also get up to the minute news about how many centimeters she is dilated. (Seriously? Do we really need the play by play?)
- It reminds me, everyday, how lucky I am to not be wasting my life away on Facebook.
Amy 0, Honduras 0, Facebook 10.
Ok... since I've signed off for the night, we can move on to more important things...
This week, I have taken a new approach to teaching. I wanted to create more of a classroom environment. I've become less concerned about being the "strict" teacher and more concerned about making progress, hitting benchmarks, and actually learning. Only two months late, right? I spent a good portion of the class working with the students to develop class rules. I had them write their own rules that we could post on the board. My rule for the older classes was "Absolutely, under no circumstances, will you speak Spanish unless asked." It sounds harsh and was, at first, the victim of mudslinging and cursing. It wasn't until I wrote a few key phrases on the board (No entiendo = I don't understand; No sé = I don't know; Qué significa... = What does... mean; Repite porfa = Repeat please) that they warmed up to the idea. I was amazed with the English that was coming out of their mouths and could tell that they were proud of themselves for speaking so much of it. I even gave them homework and, wait for it... they were excited about it. Yay for learning! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Facebook 10.
Tomorrow I am going on a rafting adventure! I know I will be in good hands, but I can't help but be nervous. I'm not the greatest swimmer and certainly have never done any extreme water sports before. (Is rafting extreme?) If you know anything about rafting, the Cangrejal has Class 3, 4 and 5 rapids. And if you know anything about rafting, you can explain that to me later. I will take a camera so that you can live vicariously through me. Muah ha ha.
Mosquito Bites: 4
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Facebook 10
Dearest Amy's mom,
ReplyDelete1) Nice to officially meet you! (this is us officially meeting of course)
2) Good work with Rani. I'm sorry about your luck with Amy, maybe next time?
3) We both know you read this blog for the awesome comments thereon, and I appreciate your fanhood!!!! (and everyone else's, I didn't forget about you 34-other-followers!)
Steve
p.s. don't kill your camera amy :(
My job right now is social networking- I get paid to be on Facebook. FML.
ReplyDelete