Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Power of Water

A warm and very excited welcome to my newest follower. Hi Ann Zerby!

I failed to post yesterday but that is because I had a near-death experience. (Ok, so it wasn't that dramatic but you did forgive me for a second, right?) Amy 0, Honduras 1.

I went to the most beautiful swimming hole yesterday. I know I say that everything is "the most beautiful" thing that I've ever seen, but I really really mean it this time. Really! Just up the road from Guaruma is a trail that leads to two waterfalls and a very deep lagoon. The waterfalls are lined with flat rock on either side which provides the perfect spot to sunbathe, meditate, and space out. (One in the same for me!)

I forgot to bring my camera, so the next time that I go, you will have pictures!

There is a lot of water which falls from the second waterfall, creating a very strong current that pushes against a rock wall and then continues downstream. After swimming peacefully in the lagoon for several minutes, it was time to warm back up and get my tan on. In order to climb out of the lagoon, I had to swim across this strong current at a predetermined angle so that I wouldn't be carried away to the rock wall and pushed under.

I failed. And when I failed, I swallowed what felt like a gallon of water, was pushed against the rock wall, then underwater, and struggled like hell to find the surface. When I did, I swam as hard as I could, lungs still full of water, to where I could stand, cough, and catch my breath. It was scary!

Don't worry, my loyal followers, I had someone with me who handles powerful water on a daily basis and he would have saved me if necessary. It took us several minutes to get my heart rate and breathing back to normal. Once I calmed down, we swam downstream, found the trail, and circled back around to where we began.

Lesson #1: Never swim alone!
Lesson #2: Bring someone along with "expertise."
Lesson #3: Never underestimate the power of water!
Lesson #4: I am not a strong swimmer.

Amy 0, Honduras 2.

Realization: I come home one month from today! I need to leave the immigration area (Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Nicaragua) every 90 days to renew my visa, and my planned trip back home is from October 8-17. I'm already making lists of things to buy, bring back, eat, and do. Of course, I will share with you my lists, but here's a teaser:
Eat loads of Thai food and Sushi
Go to Target and buy Target brand things
Tofurky Jurky
Neutogena Grapefruit Face Wash
Watch "Eat, Pray, Love"
Buy sequels to "The Girls With The Dragon Tatoo"
A huge, and very important shout-out to Aunt Maxine. As teacher for many years, she understands the difficulties of having to teach without proper materials, so she wrote to ABCTeach, an amazing education website that offers thousands of printable materials for teachers. Because of her email, the website is donating a membership to me while I'm teaching in Honduras. I am thrilled and so thankful to my Aunt and the people of ABCTeach. I am sure that my students will appreciate all of their materials (and better quality teaching because of them)! Amy 0, Honduras 2, Aunt Maxine 1,000.

In sum: Aunt Maxine rocks. Ann Zerby also rocks. I miss Target. I promise that I won't drown or use near-death experience as an excuse for not posting.

Mosquito Bites: 0
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 2, Aunt Maxine 1,000.

4 comments:

  1. Glad that 1) you are safe and 2) beat Scully :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOOOO I DIDNT GET TO POST FIRST AGAIN!?!?!?!?!

    oh, p.s., glad to hear you are ok amy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any day you get zero mosquito bites in hunduras is a point for amy. but as you didnt claim it. I will.
    Some rando 1, Amy 0, Honduras 2, Aunt Maxine 1,000, target 1.

    ps grapefruit neutrogena is ur smell

    ReplyDelete
  4. I held my breath until I heard you had company on that swim.. Please don't swim alone. Momma always worries no matter where you are.
    I have all the sequels to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.. I just finished book # 2..
    can't wiat for our shopping trip to Target.
    Am I post # again ..Paula 10 Amy 10

    ReplyDelete