Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Anxieties

Editor's Note: For the record, this is the second time I'm writing today's post. The Blog-Dog deleted my first version, which I felt had a lot of wit and insight. Second time around will not be a charm, but I'm still giving myself a point for taking another stab at it.
Before I address all of my anxieties and nail-biting, I must first get to everyone's favorite weekly game: AATuesday, which allows for reader-requested content to fill up the page that many or no one will read! I am very excited today because someone knew has taken a step out from the Team. Welcome, Caitlin, to my AATuesday forum. She emailed me the following question:
Amy, do you have any other fun Honduran warm weather food or drink recipes?
Caitlin, I wish I did! Since everyday is like summer, I guess the "reg" food I eat (beans, rice, veggies) doesn't really count. But, no matter where you are in the world, nothing refreshes you like a fruit smoothie! Especially on a warm, sunny day. My go-to smoothie right now is: Banana, Honeydew Melon, Coconut Milk, and Oatmeal. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
Thanks again for sending that little gem in, Caitlin. +1 for you!

I'm starting to get stressed. Super stressed. I sent my mom a 5-page long email numbered with my worries and anxieties. Here's a little taste of what you missed:
  1. Money. Mom, what am I going to do without money? I have been volunteering this year, have no high-paying job lined up for the summer, and then I'm going to be a student! A law student who is going into hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Am I going to have to walk the streets of Boston? I mean with people's dogs... not with hookers, Mom!
  2. Transportation. Remember when I gave you my car? And then you sold it? That kind of leaves me with no transportation when I'm in Altoona. Or in Boston. Or anywhere in between. Can I get a motorcycle? How do I get a motorcycle license? Maybe I should just stick with a moped. They are cute. But I don't want to be cute, I want to be HOT. Harley's are HOT.
  3. Furniture. I have an apartment, check! It is currently unfurnished. How am I going to pick out furniture when I'm not there? Where am I going to sleep? How am I going to get it from the sketchy Craig's List seller's house to my new pad downtown?
  4. Boredom. I am going to be SO. BORED. I need a hobby. I already cleaned out your closet and made you over, Mom.
An angel (in the form of Anne Knox) heard my cries. All the way from heaven, Anne Knox emails me and asks if I need any furniture from next year from her Boston apartment. The angels broke out in a chorus of Hallelujah! Points to Anne Knox for having a bed frame, mattress, desk, chair, couch, end tables, lamps, trash cans, a shower curtain, and whatever else I can buy off of her! She is going to get the biggest hug at her wedding this summer!

The anxiety train is creeping towards me because my time in Honduras is slowly dwindling. 2 months to go and there is an overwhelming amount of "things" to "think about" and "worry over," which is a complete waste of time and positive energy. Instead of biting my nails, I should just step outside and look around. The weather is gorgeous, I have an amazing relationship with my community, and damn... I am in the Honduran jungle. Life is NOT that bad, Amy. Not bad at all!

Mosquito Bites: 2
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Caitlin 1, Anne Knox 10

5 comments:

  1. BE HERE NOW. It will all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ames - Jack and I offer you our personal taxi services for any and all time you spend in Altoona. It will offer up some much missed friendo time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Money: Sell Chocolate. It's fun. And Tasty.
    Transportation: Vespa. Barbie Pink. With Flames.
    Hobby: Travel to California. I've started *stamping* as my hobby is now my job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amers! you're going to be great. it will all fall into place! and i promise you won't have time to get bored in law school :). let me know if i can help with anything!!! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete