Saturday, March 19, 2011

Meeting with Hondurans

This could be a sweeping (and unfair) generalization, but Honduran meetings are ridiculous. They last hours and hours. All meetings that I've been in and even those I have observed don't end before the 2 hour mark. No exaggeration.

Take, for instance, an official meeting of the Las Mangas soccer team:


Eavesdropping, they weren't talking game-strategy or plays. (Which someone should suggest they do because they are the worst team in the valley. Warning though, these men carry machetes.) They were talking t-shirts, cell phone communication, and leadership. These 20 men managed to discuss (argue?) for 3 hours. At least they served Coke.

I don't know what it is, but meetings in Honduras take a lot of time and aren't very efficient. I've never seen an agenda, used a moderator, or actually felt like we accomplished anything after 5 hours of discussing... what was it again? Oh right... a logo.

And Coke? Really? Coke does not put an end to my boredom and frustration with talking back and forth about what shade of green this logo should be! Give me a shot of tequila and maaaaaybe I'll care. Maaaaaybe.

This does not end my list of grievances. There is shouting, eye-rolling, and little kid games like "Na na na na na, I can't hear you." And the off-topic tangents? Don't get me started! We are talking about the logo and so-and-so pipes up and says, "Have you had the queso down the street? It's so salty!"

There is no order. No leader. And most of the time, no reason to have a meeting in the first place!

Moral of the story: block out at least 4 hours anytime you are required to attend a meeting in Honduras - or - have a really good exit strategy. (-1 for Honduras)

It's Saturday, which means it's veggie truck day! For $3.00, I bought:
  • 1 cantelope
  • 1 pound of tomatoes
  • 1 pound of potatoes
  • 1 pound of broccoli 
Life is good.

Plans for the day? None! Already exercised with Karolina, showered, and had breakfast. I'll do a little brainstorming for next week's classes but save the bulk of the work for tomorrow. By the way, thanks to everyone who wrote suggestions for alternative class ideas! We did some walking, some student-teaching, and lots of running around (using commands like "fast, slow, left, and right"). I think they dug it and I wore them out! Heh heh heh. Evil laugh.

Mosquito Bites: 2
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras -1

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps you should lead them.... if you build it, they will come. or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you could teach them how to conduct a meeting, americano style

    ReplyDelete