I am back from a very exciting weekend, which will be the topic of my next blog post. I can't talk about it today because we have some business to take care of:
AATuesday, when my greatest fans send in the questions they are dying to have answered. This week's questions come from Aunt Maxine and Anne. Aunt Maxine asked me:
Amy, is there an "upper class" in Honduras? I know that there has to be an upper class relative to the poorest people, but is there a group of people with money? If so, what is the source of their money?
Really great question, Aunt Maxine. I know that there is an upper class in Honduras but I wasn't sure where their money came from so I had to google. According to several articles, the Honduran upper class has two basic groups - the traditional elite who were originally the owners of large rural estates and the military elite. The traditional elite were hacendados, the owners of large haciendas in the interior highlands and valleys. After WWII, this group of wealthy landowners became involved in cattle production in response to the increase in the beef market. The military elite emerged in the mid-1950s when the armed forces underwent a major transformation. The military developed from being a variety of provincial militia groups to a US-trained national institution.
What I think is true but the article didn't mention is that there is a lot of money in the drug cartel and construction. Some would say that they are one in the same... a very high-risk, sketchy business that produces millions of dollars and has a grand chain of command.And then, the following question from Anne:
Amy, what are you excited about this week?
Anne, you WOULD ask that question! This week, I'm excited because I bought my plane ticket home! June 3rd. Yes! Also, very excited to have my second adult class (will get to that later) and for a join dinner on Wednesday night with Guaruma and Un Mundo, another organization in the valley. We are bridging the gap between the two organizations so that we strengthen each other.Thanks Anne and A.M. for sending in your questions! Points for you!
Speaking of Un Mundo, we threw a despedida (going away party) for Sandra last week on the Un Mundo property. We found a spot near the river and built a bonfire with collected driftwood. It only took Sandra 2 matches to light it and we kept it burning for more than 8 hours. Impressive?




Bonfire on the river? Great idea!
I wanted to get the kids involved in Sandra's despedida so during class, I taught them some English phrases to include in good-bye cards. Here are a few examples:





The kids really enjoy making cards and it was so sweet to read their personal messages to Sandra. And very sad to see Sandra go! Everyone is going to miss her.
One last note. I had my first adult class last week and it went really well. 13 adults showed up and another 3 Guaruma students who wanted "extra lessons in English." Their ages ranged from 50-18. I did a little diagnostic test to see where their levels were and, to my surprise, they were totally all over the place. There were some students who were very comfortable speaking and could communicate very basically and others who have never been exposed to English before. It will be challenging to teach a class of so many students with so many different levels. Help!!! (+1 for me for being successful!)
Ok, must get to some serious business on the internet. There is so much Glee, Top Model, and Modern Family to watch! Check in later this week for some island pictures!
Mosquito Bites: 15ish
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Aunt Maxine 1, Anne 1
oh no, sandra! she will be missed (according to the goodbye letters) :( i smell a competition brewing. can you top her in 2 months? magic 8-ball says "Outlook not so good"
ReplyDeletefabulous work you are doing honey
ReplyDelete