The rain has finally stopped and the power is back on. We had a blackout two days in a row and it was hard to get around at night. Without any emergency lights and only one candle, I barely managed around my room UNTIL I spotted it. A cockroach. A huge cockroach sitting on my soap. It scared me, but I think I scared it more because it took off, chasing me outside until CRUNCH. Yes, CRUNCH. And splatter. It was a juicy one and super gross.
After 8 months of living in the jungle, cockroaches still make me want to barf.
Yesterday, I went horseback riding with Sylvia from Omega. She asked for help exercising the horses and I was in. Totally excited!
![]() |
| I waxed my eyebrows the other day. What do you think? |
Sylvia loaned me a pair of kick ass, soft leather riding boots and I was ready. Game-face on! Attitude, check!
I was saddled up on Nugget, the prettiest horse at Omega. All this cowgirl needed was a hat.

We got on the road and started up the mountain towards Las Mangas, where we would head up a trail and run the horses. Sylvia also took along some of the local boys who's families work for her. They were wearing bike helmets and it was super cute!

Nugget was awesome and reminded me a lot of myself. He was timid when it came to rocks, water, and jumping over gaps in the trail, but he loved to run! The two of us got through several obstacles together and started running up the mountain.

And that's when I realized, "Oh shit. Shit!"
I was a bona fide cowgirl - jeans, boots, and skills. But I realized, as we were galloping towards the top of the mountain, that I wore the wrong kind of underwear. The worst kind of underwear. And my bare ass was rubbing raw against my jeans. Ow! My poor bum!
![]() |
| I'm trying to smile but damn, I am just uncomfortable. |
The views from the top were as breathtaking as my pain!

![]() |
| We were at cloud-level. |

![]() |
| We rode up so high that the Guaruma compound and our neighbors looked tiny. |
![]() |
| We even spotted enormous vultures in a tree. |
The ride was incredible minus what I'm going through this morning - laying on my stomach and not moving much.
Lesson learned: Even a cowgirl needs full coverage!
Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy -1, Honduras 0, Cockroach - 1






Oh Amy C.!!! Your Grandpa would be so proud, but I am sure would have given you his grandpa advice, wear longjohns next time instead of trying to look cute!! Sorry I missed that horseback ride. that was a ride I definitley missed.
ReplyDeletep.s. that cockroach was waiting for you and stayed away whie I was there. thank goodness.
ReplyDeleteoh that dress look scandalous.....
ReplyDeleteNote: the full coverage rule also applies in spinning...
ReplyDelete