I got the blues. Da da da da. I got the blues. Da da da da. I got the "My mom came and left me in the jungle all by my self and I won't see her for another 3 months and I'm sad because she's the best Mom in the world" kind of blues. Da da da da.
Yes, I miss my Mommy! It's always a hard adjustment to go from vacation and homemade chocolate chip cookies to cold showers and work! Great chocolate chip cookies, Mom! +1 for you.
My class with the Nutrias yesterday reminded me why I love my job so much. To reward them for being awesome the last few classes, I took the group of 13 year old boys to the river to swim. They were super excited because they never get to swim with Heimy (me). To their disappointment, I wasn't planning on getting in the water, just sitting on a rock and hanging out. A couple of them got in the water, but the rest just wanted to sit on the rock with me and hang out. 5 of the boys circled around me and started to braid my hair while another was giving me a shoulder massage. We talked about their girlfriends and when I was going to take them back to the states and marry them. Kind of like an all-girl slumber party... or a harem. We had so much fun "pasando." +1 Amy
I wish I had brought my camera.
Aunt Maxine asked me awhile back whether the students who are part of Guaruma are 100% self-motivated, or if anyone is making them come. She also asked whether the behavior problems we have are just "boys being boys," restlessness, or something cultural. And then she wanted a little more information about their regular school day versus extra-curricular classes with Guaruma.
To clear up any confusion, the regular school day for those in elementary school is 5 hours. In Las Mangas, they attend class from 7-12 and in El Pital they have class from 12-5. For the students in high school, their day starts at 8 and ends around 2, with an hour break in the middle of the day. Our Guaruma classes (held after school) are 1 hour for elementary age and 1.5 hours for the older students. Because Guaruma is a totally free, after school program, there aren't any "rules" per-say regarding attendance, although bad attendance affects their grade and ultimately, their grade affects their "ranking" in our system, which is how we determine our scholarship students. Confusing? I know.
Depending on how much money we have in donations and fundraising sales, we will offer scholarships to students who 1) apply for them and 2) have the best grades. These scholarships are for their regular education and go towards transportations, supplies, and uniforms. Every year we ask the students to write essays telling us why they deserve a scholarship, how Guaruma compliments their education, and a fun question like: What would you do if you had a day off with your English teacher?
As you can imagine, these scholarships are revered by the Guaruma parents and because of this financial incentive, encourage their kids to attend classes. It's not necessarily the best motive, but it certainly keeps the kids in the classroom. But aside from this, we like to think that the students have fun in Guaruma and enjoy the classes. I wouldn't say 100% self-motivated, Aunt Maxine, but they certainly have a good time when they get here!
Thanks for asking such an important question, A.M. +1 for you too!
Last night we had a first of what will hopefully be a few going away parties for Austin. All of the volunteers, including a new arrival from the States, made churros de queso, glorified cheese sticks, and hung out. I think the real party is going to be on Friday night, when we break out some beer.
I'm looking forward to starting my adult ESL classes tonight. I think it's really important for Guaruma to support the adults in the community and for me to interact with them. I know that it will build relationships between us as well as between them and their children - they share the same teacher, learning the same subject, the kids will be able to help the adults with their beginning lessons. All positives! Unfortunately, we forgot (I forgot?) to put up signs so the attendance may be low. Word will get around and hopefully, I'll have a couple of eager adults to teach!
Mosquito Bites: 2 new, 40 old
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Mom 1, Aunt Maxine 1
ohhh a new volunteer arrival!? tell us more.
ReplyDeleteAustin is haircut guy? way to go, Heimy, scared him away with your barber skills. GOOD WORK.
If I could send chocolate chip cookies on a regular basis I would. I miss the kids too!!!And you!! Your a great KID too
ReplyDelete