Monday, July 19, 2010

Aint No Mountain High Enough

Last night, I sat around the dinner table with 6 other volunteers eating two variations of rice. Food in Honduras is so… exotic! One rice dish was made with coconut milk and potatoes (ew) and the other was made with tomatoes and corn (meh). That’s pretty normal… fresh veggies, rice, eggs, fruit, and sometimes beans. We make our own bread because you can’t buy it here, and I have to remind myself every time to not eat the dough! Who knows where those eggs have been?

Over dinner, the volunteers were communicating in Spanish and I’m pretty sure that I understood every word of their conversation about constipation and diarrhea. Amy 1, Honduras 0.

As I’m sure you are anticipating, I got to and from work today by... RUNNING (and walking a little). Thanks to the Garmin watch my mom gifted me, the mountain run was 2.5 miles. And it was steep (hence the walking). I made a “Get Up The Mountain” playlist so that I could jam and sweat it out. When I got to the top, the village had no water. Apparently that’s normal. Amy 2, Honduras 1.


Classes went surprisingly well - 3 today, one hour each. My Spanish got better as the day went by and yes, I am teaching the kids English in Spanish. We did a review of things they learned with their previous teacher – numbers, letters, family, greetings, and colors. One kid gave me a mango for my first day. Maybe the expression in Honduras is “A mango a day will get me an A.”


After running down the mountain (soooo much easier) and taking a much needed, cold shower, I have the rest of the evening to myself.

Oh! The vegetable truck is here. They come from the city up through the mountains with a blow horn screaming “Lechuga! Tomate!” For 4 carrots, a head of lettuce, 2 mangos, 3 cucumbers, a pineapple, 3 green peppers, and two onions, we paid 90 Lempiras ($4.50). Amy 3, Honduras 1.

Mosquito Bites: 5
Possible Ticks: 0
Final Score: Amy 3, Honduras 1

P.S. Now there are pictures! I added them to previous posts too, so check them out!

1 comment:

  1. wtf i didnt comment on this? shame on me. your hair looks nice today amy! :)

    ReplyDelete