Sunday, July 18, 2010

Hard Knocks

It was a rough one today. Our horseback-riding trip got cancelled and I got stuck in the rain, nay downpour, on the way home from a hike. When I finally got back, the power was out, which sucked because I was really jonesing for some Internet. Amy 0, Honduras 1.


After a good cry, I managed to stream the latest episode of Top Chef DC. (Hallelujah!) I am still searching for the latest episode of Bethenny Getting Married? and am on pins and needles to see what happens in tomorrow’s episode of The Bachelorette! I think we finally get to see what Frank's epic (and widely previewed) breakdown is all about. Amy 1, Honduras 1.


Tomorrow begins the English classes. I have to either a) walk, b) run - as in exercise, c) wait for a bus - an hour or so, or d) hitch a ride with someone who may or may not kill me up to El Pital, which is 3 miles straight up the mountain. Any votes? I'll let you know tomorrow how I got there.

I will be responsible for teaching 3 classes with kids ranging from 8 to 20 years old. My lesson plans for tomorrow include introductions and reviews of material they have learned. I am told that the kids love the “What’s your name?” song, which is new to me, and probably to you as well. If you are curious what I will be attempting to sing tomorrow: http://www.dreamenglish.com/whatsyourname.html


Day 2 was the hardest day for me yet. Down-time is lonely time, especially when communicating with those around you is dependent on your limited vocabulary and ability to conjugate verbs. And today, there was lots of down-time and therefore, lots of loneliness.

But, on a much brighter note, I spent quite a bit of the day on the phone and online talking with people that I love. Rani, Mom, Craig, Anne, Rados, Scully, and Schef, thank you so much for your love and support! Given the circumstances and my current state-of-mind as I post this, I’m giving myself 15 points. Amy 16, Honduras 1.

Mosquito Bites: 1
Possible Ticks: 2
Final Score: Amy 16, Honduras 1

4 comments:

  1. you are the bravest freakin' person i know. go team amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you keeping a tally for the ongoing score? i'd like a yearly and daily scoreboard tally. ps i'm rooting for the underdog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you and miss you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete