Thursday, July 22, 2010

So Sweaty

Last night, I made “bread,” and it turned out so much worse than all previous attempts. New environment, new ingredients, lack of cooking skills? Perhaps. And no, it didn't rise. Amy 0, Honduras 1.


We hitched a ride down to yoga and back up today, which is a lot less stressful than waiting for the bus. Yoga was much more difficult today, but I managed to stay in crow for 15 seconds. Of course, I sweat. A lot. The instructor commented on it not once, not twice, but seven times during the class. I even had to hang my mat up on her clothesline to dry. Ok, I know I’m a sweaty person… but did she really have to insist on getting me a towel halfway through class? Amy 0, Honduras 2.

It was unbelievably hot and humid today, and my hair was loving it! And so were my sweat glands. Check out the scar! Amy 0, Honduras 3.


I had two classes today, and they went rather well. The other volunteers warned me that the boys in the first class have crushes on me. In class, they were so timid and well-behaved, which is so unlike their usual behavior. It worked to my advantage and I managed to get from 1-100 without any interruptions! We played the game "Beep," a counting game during which you say aloud consecutive numbers, replacing numbers divisible by 5 with the word "Beep." They loved it! Amy 1, Honduras 3.

After my class finished, we had a staff meeting tonight, in Spanish. The volunteers from El Pital and administrators from La Ceiba gathered in Las Mangas to talk about Guaruma goals. I understood about 50% of it. During the other 50% I zoned out.

Carolina, pictured below, is my roommate for another week until I move into a departing volunteer’s room. She is from Poland and is really cool. She’s 25 and has lived in the UK, Columbia, and Barcelona, where she perfected her Spanish. (She is super good at Spanish.) The two of us are heading into the “big city” of La Ceiba tomorrow to do some shopping. (My list includes soap, detergent, peanut butter, cell phone, produce, beans, and rice.) Carolina doesn’t actually need to go but she is being a good friend and coming with me so that I don’t get lost/stranded/kidnapped/overwhelmed/scared.


I made myself and Carolina a gourmet dinner of tomato, cheese, and basil. So fancy. The tomatoes here taste so good that I can eat them like apples. They are sweet, small, and not too juicy. The meal turned out much better than my bread.


Our kitchen friend:


Mosquito bites: 2
Possible ticks: 0
Final score: Amy 1, Honduras 3.

7 comments:

  1. It's like a mix of Angus Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging and Man vs. Wild. I love it. My Challah is in the oven - so we'll see if it turns out as good as yours. You must've confused Shabbat with Passover. Tom wants to know if you used yeast.

    P.S. love all of the pictures, keep them coming- and might have laughed out loud at your hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bread looks tastyyyy..... ps stop feeding the lizards, you know they only like to come back

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweaty is in! people pay like $20 a class to sweat like that! honduras can suck it. PS: your bread may or may not look just like mine, despite my sea-level elevation and access to a kitchen aid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. amy its me craig not aunt maxine. for some reason my google account says maxine butler and i cannot figure out how to change it. those mountains look like walk/jog just a little type mountains not jog/walk just a little type mountains.the watch your mom gifted you....is it like a car gps but just on your wrist? the pictures are great as well as the blogging. keep it up. it is the only type of reading that my brain can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't beleive that you went all the way to Honduras to love tomatoes YEAH AMY!!! AMY 10 Honduras 10 .. You will sweat anywhere to show them you got sweat glands.
    I am enjoying the photos so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. During the other 50% of your staff meeting that you didn't quite understand, they were talking about your sweating. Love, Your Favorite Cousin

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to know that sweating must be a Pimentel thing! I sweat like crazy when I exercise or when it's really hot outside. It's ridiculous how much I sweat but it's great to know I'm not alone! Hey, what's the deal with that scar? P.s. Nice hair!

    ReplyDelete