Saturday, July 17, 2010

Do One Thing Everyday That Scares You

12 hours of sleep later, I felt like a new, very sweaty woman. Despite the industrial-sized fan blowing directly on me all night, I managed to sweat at least 2 gallons of water. High five me for being so hydrated. Amy 1, Honduras 0.

My first day at Guaruma (in Las Mangas, Honduras… if you’re completely lost) so happened to be “Cleaning Day.” It’s just like “Cleaning Day” at home in the US, but much harder. In the kitchen alone, I killed 12 spiders, 4 mosquitoes, and captured 2 geikos (which I later set free). I only shrieked 8 times. Amy 2, Honduras 0.


We took a walk from Las Mangas to a bathing hole in the Congreal River. It was a beautiful walk down a dirt road, into the forest, along a trail, across a wobbly bridge, up to Candy Mountain, and down the rocky shore to the river. The easy way to get into the river was to continue down the rocks to the shallow water, but like a peer-pressured, desperate-to-be-liked wild child that I am, I followed the other volunteers to a massive rock overlooking a waterfall. Then, they proceeded to jump and I almost peed my pants. Almost! I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and remembered the advice of a magnet stuck to the fridge of 645 N Leak St (“Do one thing everyday that scares you”) and jumped! Amy 3, Honduras 0.


Then it rained, nay, poured. We trekked through the forest and ran to shelter. I got a bloody heel from my Merrells. Amy 3, Honduras 1.


I also realized that I forgot the cord to upload pictures from my camera. Amy 3, Honduras 2.

I’m still trying to figure out the lay of the land and how things “work” here. Once I get my head around it, I’ll enlighten you. Until then, keep your fingers crossed and wish me suerte!

Mosquito Bite Count: 0
Final Score: Amy 3, Honduras 2. (Thanks for the correction, Sculls.)

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you really taking chances and jumping off cliffs! I think you are going to come back with tribal tattoos and a few battle scars- which I am ready to brag about to friends and family- keep us posted!!

    miss you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm...that sounds like Amy 2, Hondruas 2. 8 shrieks cancels out one of those and then you missed the 2nd one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you know how I felt at disney world when I screamed and you all laughed!!!

    ReplyDelete