Friday, July 23, 2010

Three Day Weekend, Every Weekend.

Friday we have off, so it gives us a chance to play catch up, go shopping, and be adventurous. And that’s what I did. Change of plans from last night: I went down to La Ceiba with Sandra, our Assistant Director, and we parted ways at the bus terminal. She was heading to a sketchy city to get a sketchy drivers license and I went grocery shopping, ran errands, and picked up my stipend check.


First impression of La Ceiba is that it is dusty. The air is noticeably thicker compared to el aire fresco in the mountains. I managed to pick up some essentials: soap, peanut butter, rice, beans, detergent, a cell phone for emergencies, green peppers, cucumbers, and popcorn.

Oh, and because I forgot a little wallet, I bought this:


Jealous? Amy 1, Honduras 0.

It was scary being in a “big city” by myself, but I managed to not have too many embarrassing encounters. I did almost steal a vendor’s carrots because I thought I paid for them and I almost got off the bus without paying, but that’s not too bad. I did have difficulty trying to explain Neosporin and Ziploc bags in Spanish, and I was successful in communicating the former. I gave up on the latter. Amy 2, Honduras 1.

Because the road is unpaved, it took the bus 45 minutes to drive 6 miles up the mountain. We were going no faster than 10 mph the entire way, which allowed me to take the following photos of the scenery from La Ceiba to Las Mangas:



I also attempted (and you’ll see why) to do laundry today. We have a washing machine but in order for it to work properly, you need to manually add water to it. So I had to fill it up to start and then refill for the rinse cycle. It appears that my ability to do laundry is not bound by country, because all of my white clothes ended up a beautiful shade of sky blue. Amy 2, Honduras 2.


Mosquito Bites: 2
Awkward Heat Rash: 1
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 2.

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog so far!!! Looks like a beautiful place!! Miss you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so many levels of jealous of your wallet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who needs to shop when you can create your own new outfits???? (Your light blue clothes). Love,Aunt Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I was going to sell my Hannah Montana billfold on eBay back in March, but I decided instead to donate it to some Central American charity. I couldn't be happier that it ended up in your hands. (Cue "Circle of Life" from Lion King.) I also couldn't be happier that you are having such bold, shocking and affirming experiences. Rock on with your bad self!
    - Your favorite cousin

    ReplyDelete