Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hanging Out. Alone.

Spending time by myself has been awesome. Really. I think a lot. And study, read, relax, and do whatever I feel like when I feel like it! This is the life.

Last night, I went to this great little Tropical/Hawaiian themed Cantina and grabbed a table along the beach. All by myself. 


I ordered a mouth-watering Hawaiian plate with fresh fish marinated in Hawaiian BBQ, rice, and vegetables. I even had a beer to celebrate. Cost of the meal? $4.


I even treated myself to an ice cream for being such an interesting date. Chocolate, Caramel, and Peanut swirl. What a lucky girl!

Today has been incredibly productive. I spent the morning in class, reviewed all the tenses, and took pictures for you.

Our classroom

View from the balcony

Another balcony view of the city
Xochil, my teacher, and I have great discussions. I know all about her life, her ex-husband, her three children, her 4 siblings, her interests, hobbies, etc. She is 25 years old and lives with her mother, sisters, and children. Besides doing Spanish classes, Xochil is also enrolled in the University and studying to be a teacher.

It happened to be Mother's Day today in Nicaragua, and since our teachers are mothers, we spent 30 minutes at the school where their children go to participate in the cultural celebration!


San Juan del Sur's elementary school

My teacher, Xochil (left) and Lucia, another teacher

After celebrating with the mothers, myself, Jerry (another student) and our teachers had a Spanish discussion over some coffee.
  
Jerry is a real clown


After class, I picked up a delicious salad from a neighborhood cafe and bought my bus ticket to San Jose, Costa Rica. After a lot of thinking, debating, going back and forth, making positive/negative lists, I finally decided on a plan: I'm going to Granada! I found this super cute hostel in the middle of town and booked it with a discount because I'm staying for 5 nights. More on that later...

I must get ready for culture night at El Timon, a restaurant/bar on the beach. I'm meeting up with Jerry, Xochil, and Lucia at 7:30 to grab a drink and do some traditional dancing. Should be really fun!

Check back in soon!

1 comment: