Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May

I have been blogging for almost 10 months, which means I've been here for almost 10 months. It is going to be really fun to re-read my blog 10 years from now and remember all of the sweet memories I've had here.

Today I am thinking about tomorrow and the next day. And the next week and next month and next several months. My mind is somewhere else! It's thinking about the three weddings I am lucky to attend this summer, the jobs teaching Zumba I have lined up, what clothes I'm going to sell on Ebay, all of the food on my "To Eat" list, and how I'm going to teach myself to play guitar. There's a lot to think about.

More immediate, however, is my departure from Guaruma and 10-day plan to get to San Jose, Costa Rica for my flight on June 3. Do I enroll in Spanish School and a homestay, or do I travel around and hope I run into fellow backpackers heading south?

Unfortunately, the most immediate concern is that Guaruma hasn't yet found a replacement. Anyone interested?

To my calculations, I have just 3 weeks left in the cuenca and a lot to do! I still want to raise awareness of the project to dam up the Cangrejal, work with the guides so they learn their Trail tour in English, get a pretty sweet (permanent?) tan, and do one more round of second-hand shopping to find some steals! Let life grant me the time to accomplish it all!

4 comments:

  1. The planner, if it is not the many planners you started in college i is the many lists you have in your head. Enjoy your last month volunteering and will see you soon.
    Enjoyed our Carole King Day of singing

    ReplyDelete
  2. C-G-Am-F. learn it. Amy vs wild--fruits and veggies it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had momentary heart failure when I saw "10 Days... random words...San Jose...random words" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - I have a terrible memory. However, I do remember that your dad and Uncle Ray were like two peas in a pod when it came to fishing. They were equally satisfied to go out in the boat or stand on the shore for hours without catching one fish. Both of them would return with good "almost caught it" fish stories. Ray says that when we were at Pymatuning your dad, Uncle Ray, Jason and Jaret were out in a boat and caught about 10 walleye. When they were about 200 feet from the dock, someone pulled the stringer in and all the fish were gone. No one believed that they had caught any! Once, your dad and U.R. met somewhere in Pennsylvania to go fishing and they camped out.
    They also liked to talk about BMWs. They shared big "dreams" of someday getting this or that car. Once your dad took Uncle Ray on a tour of the machines in the postoffice. That took HOURS. Uncle Ray was amazed at how complex the machines were that your dad had to take care of. Computers, computers, computers. That was another hot topic between them. Of course your dad did a lot of electrical/electronic stuff so they also talked about that a lot. Did you know that your dad always carried a pocket knife? So does Uncle Ray but your dad's was twice as big. TWhen I think of your dad, my favorite memories are of your dad's laugh and smile. Uncle Ray contributed most of the above info - I was just the typist. (Do you know that Uncle Ray hunts and pecks when he types? So,I like to do the typing. If we think of anything else, I'll write again.

    ReplyDelete