Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Despedida

Just so you know, because I'm sure you are worried, I have arrived in Leon and am hanging out with Austin! We are having a blast and I can't wait to share with you all that I've learned and seen in Leon. But first...

As you've picked-up on from my previous posts, going away parties (despedidas) are all the rage in Honduras. Although these first two pictures were not part of the official despedida, they are part of the sweet memories I have of my last week in the cuenca.

After our weekly staff meeting last Monday, Ivin (our environmental teacher in Las Mangas) invited us for a dinner at her house. She and her family made BBQ chicken, tortillas, beans, and a salad. The meal was super rico.

Front row (left to right): Ulises, me, Sara, Franklin
Back row: Ben, Ivin, Camilo
Background: Ivin's mom and Ivin's son

After dinner, we bought rico chocobananos and headed to the puente (bridge) to hang out. 

(Left to right) Benjamin, Camilo, Ivin and son, Ulises, Mac, Franklin, Sara, me

The week went on and I knew everyone was up to something. I was exiled from the end of the meeting, heard whispers behind my back, and on Wednesday night was told to shut my door and take a nap before dinner. Strange, but not all that strange.

To my surprise (or not...), the Guaruma staff and my adult ESL class threw me a party. 

Surprise, Amy! Amy loves surprises that she kind of already expects!

Sara and me

Franklin, a former student and now computer teacher, put together a super sweet power point presentation for me (all in English!) with messages from the students, photos, and saludos. It brought me to tears.

Watching the presentation. Is Sara crying?

As if the presentation wasn't enough, each member of my ESL class and Sara brought something delicious to feast on. It was a vegetarian dinner, which is RARE in Honduras! We ate fresh tortillas (my favorite), salad, beans, cheese, mashed potatoes, pico de gallo, toast with jam, and watermelon.

EnseƱame la baleada!

After dinner, Maria presented me with a gift of homemade Guava jam and cards from all of my adult ESL students. She started off with a speech that led us to believe that the gift was an alcoholic potion that takes months to ferment. She fooled us all!

My gift of jam from Maria and the ESL students

Reading all of the sweet messages

Then, the Guaruma staff presented me with photos of the group and of the cuenca to take home with me.



Sara, don't cry! Amy, don't cry!

Then it was picture time. Remember when I described how it is to work with photographers? La despedida was no exception. It was like paparazzi, but better!

Adult ESL class

Our photographer, Ben

Sara and Camilo

Orlin. We kind of look like siblings, no?

Ulises doing the typical Honduran and catching me totally off-guard. I think Camilo was in on it!

Family portrait? No, just David and his son, David.

Darwin and Maria

When the guests left, the party started.






And then ended really quickly. We were wiped out.


Check back in for a post on reflections, lessons learned, and what I miss the most about the cuenca. And continue to read about my adventures in Nicaragua and Costa Rica!

3 comments:

  1. Amy loves a party but hates goodbyes

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm 99% certain that you forced them to throw you this party. no other explanation makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh scully!!!! what will we do without your comments!!! please encourage Amy to keep the blog going in law school so we keep hearing from you

    ReplyDelete