Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Random Musings on the Cuenca

Before I get to my random musings, I am SO excited to answer the following question from someone I haven't heard from in AGES.

Rani asked:
Amy, who will be the first person you call when you get back to the states? 
Well, Rani. I don't have a phone so I won't be calling everyone. But logic tells me that I'll see mom at the airport and we will call you together from the car on the drive home. So, I guess you're the lucky one! That is, if you pick up your phone. 
Ok, now for ...

Random Musings on the Cuenca

I can drink tap water. Yes, it's true. I live in a small village in a third world country and I can drink water straight from the tap and not become ill.

Where there is one cockroach, there are more. Many more.

Putting salt, pepper, and hot sauce on green mangoes is the best idea ever.

Mud huts, dirt roads, outdoor latrines, and a Claro-TV Satellite every three homes. Really?

I think you have to be Honduran to make the perfect tortillas. After 11 months of trying, I contribute all my failure to the fact that I am a poser. Not a real Honduran. And I don't possess the genetic material that allows me to make perfect tortillas. Sigh.

Nothing seals better than duct tape. Nothing.

Ants bite harder than any insect you'll find crawling around. Or flying around.

Always check your food before you stick it in your mouth. 9 times out of 10, the ants already got to it. What's a little extra protein in your cereal?

If I had to choose one, I'd pick water over electricity. Yes, its hot without a fan, boring without a computer, and creepy without the lights... but not showering, washing your hands, washing your face, washing your dishes, etc. for days on end is NOT COOL.

Speaking of, trap your rain water. You never know when you're going to have to use it for bathing, flushing your toilet, washing your hands, etc.

Walking behind a Honduran is like walking behind a crawling baby. They are so slow.

Even the green tomatoes are sweet.

2 comments:

  1. weird, you misspelled my name when you said who you'd call first.

    congrats on being able to drink water amy, big achievement.

    stop eating cockaroach delicacies.

    salt, pepper, hot sauce on a mango is the best idea ever? guess your ideas ARE pretty lame, so...

    even hondurans can't miss their soaps.

    can't make perfect tortillas? and blaming genetics for your short comings...? LAME AMY

    americans are well aware of duct tape's awesomeness. way to be years late.

    do ants bite you WHILE you eat them alive, like some sick primitive cave woman?

    i think you should reconsider electricity. not like showering helps you smell better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I am the lucky one to see your beautiful smile at the airport on June 3.Then we will call Rani baby.

    ReplyDelete