Dad would have loved it here if it weren't for the hot sun. I can picture him walking around in long pants, long sleeve t-shirt, and a wide-brimmed hat to shade his face. He would have loved to go hiking, rafting, and fishing in the river. He would have loved the homeopathy, tracings of Mayan culture, and language. I think he would have found a connection in this place - an ancient spirituality that drew him in. I wish he could visit.
As some of you may know, it has been 11 years since Dad passed on. In those 11 years, my sister and I have done so many things that would have made him proud. I wonder what he would have thought about my experience in Honduras. Would he have been scared for me? Excited for my adventures? Fearful that Mom would take on The Wild too?
I am so grateful for my family. My sister and mom are my backbone and biggest cheerleaders. I love them so much for supporting me over the last 10 months, before, and beyond.
Any memories that you have of my dad, please share below in the comments section. I would love to read them.
When I look inward, I find him. And I'm comforted by that.
You Dad would love your sense of adventure, your courage to try new things. Your love of the Spanish language. YOu know he loved water sports so to know you have overcome your apprehensions with water, he would be so proud.
ReplyDeleteAnd now that you are doing yoga and meditating you are following his path and guidance from his spiritual side
Hi Amy,
ReplyDeleteGrowing up with your dad, I always looked up to him and relied on his opinion. I always called him the "professional student" since he was always studying. While living with your dad and attending CSUN together, I learned about your dad's spirituality.
We loved going to the beach, hiking in the mountains and enjoying nature. I have a beautiful, framed photo that he took on one of our trips to San Francisco hanging on my wall and enjoy looking at it everyday.
Michael loved the ocean and I still have his surfboard in my garage.
You are right, he would have loved being in Honduras with you and he would be so proud of you.
Keep up the good work
Love,
Uncle Gary
read Amy previous blog(comment) for a wonderful memory of Amy's Dad by her Uncle Ray and Aunt Maxine
ReplyDeleteAmy's dad clearly rocked to have such amazing offspring. hugs!
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late to comment..
ReplyDeletebut no one knew Dad the way we knew him- so I can say without doubt that he would be so proud of you. he would have flown down to visit you, would have wanted to do anything and everything- and most importantly would have realized what an incredible person you've become. I always wonder if he was around if things would be different- but somehow I think things would have turned out the exact same, because, like you said, the greatest gift he gave us is who we are- and each decision we make is a part of him too.
Mom sent me this great picture of the four of us on a swan boat in the Boston gardens- I think deep down he knew this would be the place we'd get to be together again.
Miss you and Love you- always thinking of you, just not always showing it.