Tuesday, August 17, 2010

After The Party Is The Hotel Lobby

Tuesdays seem breezy compared to my hectic Monday, so I had lots of time to come up with a rando topic for today's post: the hotel.

The hotel across the street is owned by Carmenia and David, the wealthiest family in Las Mangas. The couple has 4 children, all under the age of 8. They act more "city" than the rest of the cuenca - they drink, smoke, eat well, and run a lucrative business. Their home is simple but glaringly more sturdy than the homes surrounding it. They have 2 large SUVs, 10 guest rooms, a bar, restaurant, swimming pool, and private access to the river. It's the good life!

I use "hotel" loosely as it's more of a jungle motel. The funniest part of the hotel is their "entertainment." They have a pool table and 1 CD with a playlist of 8 songs, constantly on repeat. These songs are cherished, nay reveled by the hotel owners, as the best songs ever written. During lunch and dinner hours, you can hear only the following selections blaring from the hotel's speakers:
"Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
"Holiday" by Madonna
"Horse With No Name" by America
"If You Wanna Be My Lover" by The Spice Girls
"Benny and the Jets" by Elton John
"Easy" by Lionel Ritchie
"It's My Life" by Bon Jovi
"Piano Man" by Billy Joel
"Hotel" by Cassidy (I'm serious.)
We headed over there last night for dinner and pool with two Guaruma students who helped us clean the compound on Saturday. We bought them Pepsi and Nachos and kicked their asses in pool. Correction: I kicked their asses in pool. I socked 5/7 stripes and the 8 ball. Something you didn't know about me... I am a pool shark. Amy 1, Honduras 0.



Class today was great. Mauricio read and translated 4 paragraphs of the Introduction to Anna Banana Jump Rope Rhymes! The introduction was about the history of jump roping and how it used to be a boy's sport. I was so proud of him.


We found some killer bugs. Literally. Tune in for some scary pictures.

Mosquito Bites: 0
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0.

6 comments:

  1. someone (you) needs to introduce them to party in the usa

    ReplyDelete
  2. When are you coming here so I can test your pool skills?! I see 1 Bon Jovi song the repertoire -- they know what to listen :):):)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If You Wanna Be My Lover" by The Spice Girls

    Top 10 best songs of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you with those hotties ow ow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you should offer them some of your songs from your playlist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have that book - I can't translate it into Spanish. I have been searching through my books for things to send - I think I'll give them to your Mom and you choose which ones you want to take back. There really aren't that many. Mostly non-fiction.............
    Comments?

    ReplyDelete