Friday, August 27, 2010

On A Dare

Scully dared me to write a blog post tonight. Truthfully, I was feeling lazy and wanted to toss aside his dare, despite the fact that he is my #1 fan, until I saw this:


How could I deny him? Amy 0, Honduras 0, Scully 1.

Today was lame-o. I exercised this morning, streamed "Huge" and "Dating in the Dark," then went down to Ceiba for the usual errands and a Guaruma staff meeting. Nothing unusual to report - hot, sticky, dirty, smelly, etc. I'm hoping a friendly mountain man mixes it up tomorrow and takes us girls on a hike to a beautiful waterfall. It will, unfortunately, depend on the rainfall and river current because it requires swimming across the Congrejal at one of its deepest points. I'll let you know how that goes.

Speaking of hikes, we did a great morning hike last Sunday with Adolfo, one of the Guaruma guides. It began with a terrifying canasta ride along a rusty woven metal rope across the river. (Terrifying!) After losing momentum midway, tiny Adolfo had to crank the canasta up to the landing rock on the other side:


We hiked for over an hour along a muddy trail, stopping to learn about the native trees, insects, and animals. Adolfo is a little guy with a lot of knowledge, and it's clear that ecotourism and agriculture are two of his passions.



Along the trail, Adolfo told us about these amazing nuts which resemble little coconuts. They grow high above in the palm trees in large heaps! It's like heaven falling from the sky.


To open them, you have to pound them in between two rocks to break the hard outer shell.


Once broken, you gently pound once more to reveal the white nut. It tastes fibrous and has a hint of coconut flavor. If I could compare it to something familiar to you, I'd say a cross between an almond and a macadamia. We went a little coco-loco and spend a good 25 minutes cracking and feasting!


After our hike and afternoon snack, we were hot! Duh. We headed to the swimming hole for a jump and refresher!



I love living in the jungle!

Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 0, Scully 1.

4 comments:

  1. i'm unsure how that contraption is in any way related to the greatest card game of all time, canasta... please explain whilst on your flight back to DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you listened to your swimming instructor when you were 5.Hold your nose Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adolpho, mentioned that he likes the white ladies(i think that means our author here).
    he's my penpal, no big Deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FALSE. despite moving across the country, I am still your #1 fan. bring it, scully.

    ReplyDelete