Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Volunteers

I am requesting volunteers to be pen pals with my students!


Please let me know if you would be willing and available to write simple, English letters back and forth with my students once or twice a month. I am having them write letters this week to anonymous people and once I hear you're interested, I'll match you up with a student and email you their letter (perhaps by photo, perhaps by typing... we'll see). If you can respond to their letter via email to me, I will print it out and give it to them in class. I think it would be super fun and also a really great writing/reading/comprehension exercise for them. Let me know if you want to participate! (Some of you don't have a choice, and you know who you are!)

Sandra, Karolina, and I are testing out a homeopathic remedy to ward off mosquitos. Don't laugh... we killed a mosquito and placed it in a fifth of rum, shook it 100 times, said a tribal blessing, and took 2 drops. We repeat daily. Not sure that it's working, but it's hella entertaining. Yes, I'm drinking dead mosquito rum. There is nothing grosser.

Speaking of rum... a picture of us waiting for the bus to go down to La Ceiba last Friday night for our big night on the town. You know what my giggles mean...


Do I cut my hair or not... thoughts?

By the way, no rain today at all! I was able to do my laundry and let it dry outside on the line! It's a miracle. I'm told that come the actual rainy season (September - February) everything floods, nothing is every dry, mold is everywhere, and it rains really really hard for days and days straight. Oh, and there is a high probability of lots of damage from tropical storms. Who wants to come visit!? Amy 0, Honduras 1.

Shameless plug/plea: Be part of Team Amy! It's THE group to be associated with these days. Duh. I'm still losing the popularity contest and I don't want to have to buy everyone else dinner and drinks at the hotel across the street!

Mosquito Bites: 1
Weird Rash: 2 (Yes, 2, in two very different places.)
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 1.

5 comments:

  1. sucks to be whoever doesn't have a choice.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do i become part of team amy???

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
    DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR!! don't u remember how unfortunate looking you are during the regrowth period? I'll be a penpal as long as you don't give away your magic Samson.
    But, then again, I'm just some rando so you might want to put it to a vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally count me in... ask anna. i'm an awesome pen-pal. and if you cut your hair, i want it. (is that creepy?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do you always try to recruit people for Team Amy? First my boyfriend- now the world? This is destined to become a global takeover.

    ReplyDelete