Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Just Another Day In The Jungle

So, a new thing is happening in Las Mangas. Power outages! (Fun!) First it was water - generally between 6am and noon. Now, it's power. Yesterday we lost power for 8 hours, and today for only 5. (Haha, only 5!) It wouldn't be an issue except that I'm poor and can't afford for all of my refrigerated food to rot. Amy 0, Honduras 1.

Without power, there is no washing machine. And without a washing machine, there are no clean underwear. So I did what I had to do - I got a bucket, detergent, and hand washed. I admit, the clothes are a little stiff (which means my rinse cycle wasn't too effective) but I am confident that this is a skill I will master by the end of my year here. Amy 0, Honduras 2.


As I'm blogging, one of the Honduran interns is listening to Justin Bieber on her computer. As I was searching for a picture of the Biebster, I read that he will be collaborating with Kayne West for an upcoming song... the stars are aligning! Do people still have Bieber Fever in the US? No one has cured me of it yet, and I fear that the students in Honduras are catching on. It's spreading like Malaria after a storm. (Not funny, I know.) Amy 0, Honduras 2, JB 1.


And now, what you've all been waiting for. The bugs!

Schef said that I blog everyday about bugs. It's true, but in my defense, I live in the jungle. There are really "cool" bugs everywhere, and getting rid of them/screaming at them is part of my everyday life. If you can top these bugs, you get a point.

The first picture is of a moth that we found. It's injured and therefore posed beautifully beside my monkey for picture.


This picture is a collection of dangerous bugs... another tarantula and a rhinoceros beetle. The scorpion is hiding inside of the whicker basket. Scully informed me that rhinoceros beetles are often fried and eaten as a delicacy. You can't tell by the photo, but it is approximately as big as my hand... and I have big hands (wink wink). Any takers?


And now for the close-up, so you can see why they call it a rhinoceros beetle:


I suppose it's just another day in the jungle.

Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 0, Honduras 2, JB 1, Bug Toppers 1

6 comments:

  1. wait wait bieber is called "JB"? i can't wait to discuss this with jason. you are not convincing me to visit.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Kanye's twitter feed it's DEFINITELY TRUE. also kanye is a moron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should get a point for hand washing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh- and in Thailand people will wear those beetles on their shirts because they look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like those bugs are big enough you could train them to do your laundry - 2 birds, 1 stone and whatnot. - Your favorite cousin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle Ray is impressed that you got close enough to take those pictures. I'm impressed with EVERYTHING! Your #1 Fan!!!

    ReplyDelete