I am officially known as "The Crazy Gringa Who Runs" (as well as a number of other things, such as "The Crazy Gringa Who Has Muscles," "The Crazy Gringa Who Reads in the Sun," "The Crazy Gringa Who Doesn't Look Like a Gringa but Actually Is One," and "The Crazy Gringa Who Dances Salsa"). I suppose there are worse names to be called.
I never imagined that I would be a "runner." Today I ran up to El Pital and back, beating my old times by 2 and 4 minutes. I'm kicking ass and looking forward to adding on some distance and speed in the coming months. Amy 1, Honduras 0.
It is hard to believe that just 16 weeks ago I ran my first race. For all of those who missed out (not my Rachie!), a little photo flashback for you:

A big thanks to Scully for placing my name on his "Scull Crushers" roster for the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile lottery, a drawing that we surely wouldn't win. And, on that fateful day, as the heavens aligned and all hell broke loose, we were chosen and forced to be forever training buddies. I have moved on to mountains and Scully to marathons! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Scully 1.
Class today went really well. I gave one group of students their pen pal letters and they were so excited! They each wanted to read them out loud to the rest of the class and then follow up with a million questions about their new friend. Thank you so much for participating in this really meaningful and worthwhile project. I'll buy you a drink when I get back to the states/have money! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Scully 1, Pen Pals 5,000.
Three random notes:
1. We had a snowball fight yesterday. Yes, you read that correctly and no, it never snows in Honduras. Karolina and I had to defrost our freezer and with the cold, white stuff, we ended up pelting each other until we were cold and drenched. Real mature.

2. I am engaged! No, not really. One of the students in my youngest class made this beautiful ring out of gift-wrapping ribbon and wanted me to wear it. She (unknowingly?) placed it on my left ring finger. I didn't have the heart to tell her that she was too young for me, that I'm not into females, and there are rules against teacher-student relationships.

- Become fluent in Spanish
- Visit at least two other countries in Latin America/Caribbean
- Learn not to be afraid of bugs
- Be humble and open to a new way of life
- Learn self-sufficiency and independence
- Become a decent cook
- Keep in touch with friends and family
- Be grateful, thankful, and appreciative
- Honor time, space, and experience
- Blog, blog, and blog!
Thanks for your help!
Mosquito Bites: 2
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Scully 1, Pen Pals 5,000


i was gonna yell at you then i realized your first marathon is 13 months away not 11 so you can keep that off your list for now.................. (i can dream)
ReplyDeleteI will be your loudest cheerleader!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat entry! and even greater list of goals!
ReplyDeleteWhat are the bumps on your hand from? bugs? sun?