Sunday, August 1, 2010

Baking Obsession

We baked today - honey whole wheat bread and chocolate brownies. Mid-mixing we realized that the reason we bake so much is that we love to eat the batter. There is chocolatey goodness all over my face, like I mangled a Death By Chocolate dessert and was not allowed to use my hands. Brownie batter = Yummy! CARB OVERLOAD! Amy 1, Honduras 0.

I finished up my July Assessment and August planning and curled up with "Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang." I've never laughed so hard or so loudly at book before. I feel like I know her and am fortunate to have her illegitimate daughter, Scheffer, as a BFF. Amy 1, Honduras 0, Schef 1.

Funny story that I'm not sure I told anyone yet. The day that I arrived in Honduras was hectic. (Gross understatement.) I flew at 6am from DC to Atlanta, and then from Atlanta to San Pedro Sula. I waited an hour and a half to get my bags and stood idly in line for another hour and a half to get permission to enter the country. At the airport, I exchanged money and asked in broken Spanish how to get to the Mirna bus.
Me: Donde esta Mirna?
Rando Honduran: No conozco Mirna.
Me: Mirna... Mirna... un bus a La Ceiba.
Rando Honduran: Mirna no esta aqui.... incomprehensible Spanish... estacion de bus... incomprehensible Spanish.
Me: Estacion de bus. OK.
Gotta get to the bus station! I took a smelly, hot taxi to the station and when I exited, I politely asked the driver if I needed to tip him. Of course he said yes, and when I asked how much, he said $2. Seemed reasonable. (Side note: Nobody tips taxi drivers in Honduras. There are set prices everywhere and they are known to rip off gringas.) Amy 1, Honduras 1, Schef 1.

I stumbled around the station, sweating profusely from carrying my luggage (why didn't I bring a wheely bag?) and finally found the Mirna station. I missed the 2:00 bus by 5 minutes and so I bought the ticket for the 3:00 and patiently waited.


The bus had no AC (is that obvious?) and it took 3.5 hours to get from San Pedro Sula to La Ceiba. Before embarking on the trip, I decided my worst nightmare would be that Guaruma was a hoax and no one would be waiting to pick me up at the train station. And so over the 3.5 hour ride, I dwelled... and I worried... and I became so anxious. Amy 1, Honduras 2, Schef 1.


We finally arrived and I took my bags through the pouring rain inside the station where I was meeting my bosses. Worst nightmare came true. No one was there. I didn't have a cell phone. I didn't have wireless internet. It was dark and rainy. I was in the Third World. I had 50 pounds of luggage, soaking wet clothes, a minimal grasp of the Spanish language, and every reason to be absolutely terrified. Oh right, and I didn't have any contact information. (Stupid Rani!) Amy 1, Honduras 2, Schef 1, Rani -1.

I breathed. I approached the people working at the station:
Me: Tiene internet?
Bus Station Worker: Que?
Me: Internet, para buscar cosas como numeros de telefono.
The bus station worker stared at me cluelessly and returned to his work. I slumped down in a chair completely defeated. It took 20 minutes to regain confidence and approach him again.
Me: *Sigh* Necesito un numero de telefono por una amiga y lo tengo en mi email. Puede usar la computadora?
The worker finally understood, cleared his workstation and offered me his seat. He got everyone else in the office involved in my misfortune.
Me: Si, soy de los Estados Unidos y voy a trabajar con Guaruma. Conocen? No? Es en Las Mangas. Conocen? En las montanas? Muy lejos de aqui? Oy!

I finally found what I was looking for and he was nice enough to call for me. I waited for 20 minutes until Sandra came to rescue me.

It seems like a long time ago when that happened. Aside from the language, the adjustment to life in Las Mangas has been quick. I feel used to my schedule and although something surprises me everyday, I feel prepared to handle it.

Side note: I have been here longer than the time I spent in the Peace Corps! Success! Amy 2, Honduras 2, Schef 1, Rani -1.

It is August 1 and today started the "Spanish Only" conversation in the Guaruma compound. I'm going to learn Spanish from a Dutch and Polish girl. Go figure!

Mosquito Bites: 3
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 2, Schef 1, Rani -1.

3 comments:

  1. technically, i don't lose a point for a hypothetical 'stupid rani'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we will be talking very soon in Spanish :). I went through "I'm completely lost-will sleep at the station-have no phone/address" thing too even though it was Italy...A little different but get the feeling. Go girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete