Saturday, August 21, 2010

Sambo Creek

My sincerest apologies to my loyal readers - a certain Face let me know that it has been 5 days since I've blogged and I am slowly losing my fan base. I make this promise to Claudio and to you, if there is power, I will blog! Thanks Claudio, for making sure that I wasn't on a permanent vacation. Amy 0, Honduras 0, Claudio 1.

Truth is, I've been busy and there is a lot to catch up on. Let's start one day at a time.

On Saturday, I was finally able to leave the cuenca and head out for a day trip to Sambo Creek. Sambo Creek is a traditional Garifuna (descendants of Carib, Arawak and West African people) village about 25 minutes east of La Ceiba on the Caribbean Sea. A day on the Caribbean? Don't mind if I do! I needed an escape and this trip ended up being just what the doctor ordered. And for you, I documented it all! You're welcome. Amy 1, Honduras 0, Claudio 1.


We woke up at 7 to catch the bus down to La Ceiba. In the city, we had to wait for another bus to take us East along the coast. Below is a picture of us waiting at the bus stop. Behind us is a typical pulperia, where they sell snacks, drinks, and a handful of household items.


The vibe of Sambo Creek is strikingly different than La Ceiba and Las Mangas. The inhabitants of this small beach town are warm and have kept their Afro Caribbean roots alive. We saw traditional outfits, some with a real "modern" twist. I was (and still am) temped to pay this lady to make me a duplicate of her dress.


Yes, those are the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers. We listened to reggae, ate ceviche and fried fish, and drank spiked lemonade in hammocks.


I also got to endulge in my favorite activity. Any guesses what that might be?


If you guessed sunbathing ("tanning," "bronzing," "browning," and "competitive tanning" will also work) you get a point!

Chiara and I did about 5 seconds of yoga on the beach, which was enough time to snap a few pictures. I attempted my handstand, but as you can see, it was... well... a bit floppy.



Here are a couple other scenes from Sambo Creek:



I feel so rested. It's amazing what a little sun, beach, and ceviche can do for the soul! Amy 1, Honduras 0, Claudio 1, Tanning Guessers 1.


Of course, this isn't everything that has occupied me over the past 5 days. I'll catch up with more stories and pictures during the week!

One administrative note: Per the suggestion of my savvy sister, I have included multiple blog posts below the most current. That way, you can simply scroll to catch recent posts instead of using the side links.

Any other suggestions?

Mosquito Bites: 3
Ticks: 1 (Story coming)
Final Score: Amy 1, Honduras 0, Claudio 1, Tanning Guessers 1

6 comments:

  1. sweet shorts. and, suggestion: more scully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OBVI competitive tanning. but i'm not there to compete with! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you used sunblock(really!!!) what a great way to relax

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love everything. so jealous!! (also love the multiple posts. makes me feel less stressed that i missed a post and don't know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope your students are there to rub aloe on you when you burn gringa...
    Paula, you know she was wearing maybe spf15

    ReplyDelete