Monday, August 2, 2010

Shoes of my Life

Mondays are my busy days, and today was no exception. I've learned that busy days can also be excellent days, and today was no exception! What a great day to be alive! Amy 1, Honduras 0.

Let's take a moment to thank the running gods that I was fitted for these shoes, because they have changed my life! Background: Scully and I went to get new shoes to prep for the Cherry Blossom 10-Miler and found great successes at Pacers (and in the race!). With the right of cushioning, even YOU can make it up the mountain! Amy 2, Honduras 0.


Me and my shoes, in all our glory, trotted straight up the mountain, stopping only to take pictures of the scenery. It wasn't a beautiful day, but the fog hanging low on the mountains was mysterious and sexy. Amy 2, Honduras 1.

If you can't tell, that's uphill.

Look closely and you can see a waterfall.

Ominous fog.

A nice family lives here and we always say hi on my way up to El Pital.



Enough scenery! My classes today went well and I will post about the activities we did (with pictures!) tomorrow.

Today was the beginning of my third week teaching and I definitely underestimated the difficulty teachers face. Amy 2, Honduras 1, Teachers 1. Controlling a class while being creative and affecting change (in Spanish, mind you) can be draining and discouraging. But since coming to Honduras, positivity has been my new mantra and everyday, I look for a sign of improvement, growth, and raison d'ĂȘtre. And here it is:


I'm only 2 weeks into teaching and have seen light bulbs turn on in my classes. I'm invested! I want my students to learn English way more than they want to learn it, and maybe my investment is the push they need! I'm crossing my fingers that's true.

Mosquito Bites: 1
Final Score: Amy 2, Honduras 1, Teachers 1

4 comments: